Giving Up the Booze for Lent

Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving Up the Booze for Lent

Yeah, I know, Lent started several weeks back; but the Wife told me today that she's "giving up boozing" (yes, her exact words) until Easter. Finished off the bottle of the cheap vodka last night and said won't buy another until Easter.

Do I think she can do it? No, I can't, but that's not my problem, that's between her and her conscience.

I'll let you know if it actually happens.

C-OH Dad
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did she say why?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Did she say why?
I guess as some sort of Lenten sacrifice. And for her, not drinking is a big sacrifice.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Then she might turn around and be like "see, I gave up drinking for lent" or something...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha - whatever motivates them I guess!! I love the glimmers of hope they give us....

ABF had 2 beers yesterday. Usually has 1/3 a half gallon of vodka every day. I could tell he was trying not to drink at all (I don't remember the last time he's gone a whole day and I could guess he doesn't remember either.)

He kept looking at the clock just trying to get through the day without a drink and finally caved and had 2 beers. I can't imagine that kind of torment. Needless to say he wasn't "himself," whoever that is....I don't think either of us know who he really is. Right now "he" is either just a drunk, or just a guy dying to drink. One day without his usual vodka intake and he was quiet, jittery, on edge, and generally uncomfortable. It is soo sad to watch, and I cannot imagine having that kind of monkey on my back.

I hope the best for her couple weeks off - for her and for you! Hang in there - I know the torment isn't always just for them, even though it is her problem! Sending you good thoughts to keep your peace and detachment and serenity no matter what she does!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

COD

The giving up of things for Lent is a really BIG thing where I live -
some people do it for the true meaning and replace the thing they give up with prayer time, meditation, service to others, using the money they would spend on that item as charity gifts etc
others half heartedly give it up and then oh i'm excused on Sunday, but if I forget i can say so many these prayers or do this "pennance" work
some only make it a few days and never even remember their promise

Anyway - not debating the giving up stuff for lent - just saying that there are many views of "giving up" things for Lent and many ways to bend the "rules" to make it work to someone's favor - but hey I guess we all do that in almost any situation if we want to

it truly sounds like you have a healthy recovery outlook on her statement ~ your detachment skills and ability to keep your garden of self free of her issues is awesome ~

I wish her the best and you also as you continue your path of recovery ~

pink hugs
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It'll be interesting to see if she actually manages it. I agree with Ms. Pink, you sound so perfectly detached, woohoo!!

I was raised Catholic & Lent was a huge deal in my father's FOO. My grandmother had an unhealthy attachment to food & especially sweets but every year she would swear it off like it was the devil himself. She & my aunts & cousins also used this as a self-inflicted crash diet each year. By Easter Sunday everyone was jittery & anxious & couldn't WAIT to get out of Mass so that they could begin feasting on all of holiday goodies. They would have treats at my uncle's house immediately following Mass because he lived right across the street from the church & since my grandmother worked in a chocolate factory..... it was GAME ON with unbelievable amounts of candy!

I can't imagine what it would have been like if they'd all been drinkers!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know. Alcoholics "cutting back" on alcohol for a time doesn't mean much to me.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The most that cutting down for a period of time does, is that it sometime brings home how dependent on it they really are. Or not.

I can remember when I first joined "Moderation Management" to try to learn to control my drinking (this was in response to a demand from the last S.O. that I "do something" about it). One of the first things they suggest is going 30 days without drinking. I did that just fine--no problem at all. All that the exercise did was to convince me that I did not have a problem. Unfortunately, my drinking progressed, and I did not string together more than three days of not-drinking until I got sober four and a half years later. I went from bad to worse, and in that time I developed a serious physical dependency that was not there before.

OTOH if you CAN'T put together two weeks, or a month, or whatever without a drink, that should clue you in. For some people it does, for the majority, there is some kind of excuse--typically that they "changed their minds" or "chose" to drink.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave up for all of Lent starting on Ash Wednesday which makes 26 + straight days of no alcohol.
Very shocking considering that I had been drinking for 30 + straight years and when I stopped I was averaging 10 - 24 ounce Bud Ice beers, 2x the alcohol of course daily
I did it for Lent and because my Dr told me I have to quit due to elevated liver enzymes on my last blood test : (
I guess the health issue really got to me. Use whatever incentive works for you.
So far so good and I hope you and yours can do it and that it brings you much happiness!