Serenity

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serenity

This is kind of OT - except the serenity part. With help from the ABF, my brother, a local mechanic I've known for years, and my own blood sweat and tears, I got an old motorcycle running that's been taking up space in my garage for a year.

I grew up riding motorcycles. Dad and grandpa would send us down the road when my brother and I were 12 saying "don't tell your mom." I was a storm trooper on a flying bike on that ole trail 90. I LOVED it. I rode everything from dirt bikes to every kind of street bike as I got older and became more mechanically inclined. I turned a wrench here and there for friends on their bikes, and they'd lone them to me for a month or 2 to pay me back. I LOVED it.

I haven't ridden *much* since 2001. A different BF and I were hit by a car on my birthday that year on a Harley that he and I spent a year and $10K restoring. It was our 2nd ride on it, and she was BEAUTIFUL. It was bad. He lost his leg, and I came as close as I ever want to to losing mine. I couldn't believe we were alive. My life changed for the better - he lost his mind to self medication after that, adn his life got much, much worse. I split. Needless to say, the handful of times I mustered up the nards to drive a bike after that, the panic of traffic around me outweighed my love for riding.....but I ALWAYS wanted to get a bike, and get back to that place of LOVE and SERENITY that I used to have.

Well last year I got an old Honda. She hasn't run in 30 years. I cleaned the gas tank and replaced the fuel lines right when I got her, but drug my feet cleaning up the carbs. The ABF was a good kick in the butt - he and my brother did the carb work Ive been neglecting all year - there were no more excuses. I had tires put on it, and all the safety issues checked, and last Friday, I got back on the horse. I AM RUUUUSTY on that thing.

By yesterday, without my endorsement (I take the test today) and without plates on it (title work takes FOREVER) I have 40 miles on her.....and I am back IN LOVE. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to ride in traffic much, or at night...and these days I ACTUALLY wear a helmet!, but I feel the love coming back....I have SO much peace...I am proud of myself....I feel grateful...I feel like Evil Kaneevil!...and even with ABFs drinking last night, for me, it is ALL ABOUT ME right now!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
By yesterday, without my endorsement (I take the test today) and without plates on it (title work takes FOREVER) I have 40 miles on her.....and I am back IN LOVE. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to ride in traffic much, or at night...and these days I ACTUALLY wear a helmet!, but I feel the love coming back....I have SO much peace...I am proud of myself....I feel grateful...I feel like Evil Kaneevil!...and even with ABFs drinking last night, for me, it is ALL ABOUT ME right now!
I love this, thanks for sharing. I feel the same way getting back into my sports that I have loved so much and quit doing when the chaos started in earnest.

Be safe, and have FUN!
~T
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((firebolt)))))

Loved your story. I rode hard tails for over 20 years until my back got so bad that it
became extremely PAINFUL to ride.

About 10 years ago, a neighbor got one of the new 'soft tails.' When he saw me drooling,
roflmao he said "go ahead, try it out." I was hesitant, but he assured me that
I would enjoy it.

So, I did, and thought I had died and gone to heaven, lol No I did not go out and buy
one, but over the years since, he got a brand new one, kept the old one
and allows me,
when I get those damn 'itchy' feet to 'go ahead and ride."

I do understand the 'feeling of freedom and serenity.'! I also can get that feeling from,
getting on a 'good' horse lol

So enjoy the things you do for you.

I would suspect that before too long that little Honda is going to turn into another HD!!!! lol

Love and hugs,
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, cool! Don't know if you saw my post earlier about my motorcycle lessons I am taking this coming weekend. I am a REAL newby--56 and never been on a motorcycle. But I'm going to Spain in May and would like to rent a scooter, so I figured I better learn how.

I don't know that I'd be up for riding a big bike in heavy traffic, but it looks like so much fun--always wanted to try it.

Enjoy--and I KNOW you will be careful!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lexicat -
I am thinking about taking a defensive riding course - you can't be too careful! I feel like I need to paint myself and the bike hunters orange every time I get on lol.

I'm jealous about your trip - HAVE FUN!

Laurie - You're probably right - I'm going to outgrow this ole Honda in a year or soo....and I've been eying the Buell Firebolt (yeah, thats where my name comes from) Shes gorgeous and innovative and it's about damned time. I wonder if something with air ride and some lumbar support would help your back - that's AWESOME your neighbor helps scratch that itch!!

Thanks guys - feelin good!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I wonder if something with air ride and some lumbar support would help your back - that's AWESOME your neighbor helps scratch that itch!!
Neighbors bike is 'air ride' and I do have a really good 'back brace' that I wear when riding, or doing housework, and when I go shopping. The 'brace' is really great!!!!

Don't believe I can do Sturgis this year, but am planning next year's epidural
closer to Sturgis Week. I know it has gotten a lot BIGGER since I was last there in
'95 but it is on my 'Bucket List' to go one more time, on a bike and not in a cage,
lol

This summer we, my friend, his long time SO and I are going to go to ABQ,
which is 250 miles one way, spend the night, see some friends, maybe hit a meeting
or two and come back the next day. If i am going to have problems they will appear
fairly early in the trip and I can turn around and come home. I still have my 'leathers'
and they now fit since I have lost the weight that I put on with my diabetes, so no new
expenses there.

I still have my 'colors' also and have kept my membership current in the "Fifth Chapter out of Northridge CA. I call my friend (the president of the chapter) just to make sure I can still wear them. He said "Of Course, you are current in your dues, as a matter of fact you are usually the one whose dues for the new year come in first"roflmao Fifth Chapter are groups pretty much all over the country now. They are made up of sober and clean bikers. And yes many go to Sturgis, we just don't drink.

So if this round trip goes well, I just might try the 1,062 mile trip this year, I will see and no I won't do anything crazy. I might be able to, I get my epidural the end of April and Sturgis is 8/5 to 8/11 so my epidural should be in full force.

If ABQ trip is okay, I want to do a round trip to Denver and back which is 670 one way. Then if no problems with that one, Sturgis will be a real possibility this year.

Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread, just giving you an idea as to what happens one you again feel the wind on your face and in your hair. If you are anything like me you WANT MORE, rofl

And I have to say I am even a more defensive drive on HD than in my car. I try to keep aware of where every vehicle is in relation to where I am, cause you never know when one of 'those nuts' are going to try something.and yes I do wear my helmut.

Started wearing one while I was still drinking. In 1980 was a passenger on an HD when
we got hit by a drunk driver. The guy who owned the bike lost his leg, I had road rash
on my back from my buttocks up to my shoulders. Had no helmet and they said I did get a concussion, but that when I his I apparently hit on my buttocks and then slid, thus the road rash and a pretty good size bump on the back of my head but nothing real serious. HELMUTS ARE A MUST in my opinion.

I hope you have lots and lots of fun and enjoyment. It is absolutely amazing when we can get back to doing something we loved how our peace and serenity start to return!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,