Finding a Marriage Counselor

Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding a Marriage Counselor

Where do I begin with something like this?

We aren't members of a church, so I don't have anyone in that aspect that I can approach for a recommendation. I don't know anyone who has gone to counseling that can refer me.

I'm assuming we want to find someone familiar with addiction, obviously.

No insurance, so we'll be cash customers; affordable options are a bonus.

I think we've reached a point where working on ourselves individually is no longer completely effective. We need to start interacting better with things like communication, listening & hearing each other, etc. All the things I imagine *normal* couples see a counselor for, with the addition of one partner recovering from alcohol addiction & the other a lifetime of codependency.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend my first real-live Al-Anon meeting sometime this weekend, but I didn't know if they can help refer me for something like this. (I say hopefully because while my area has ongoing & constant AA meetings, I'm surprised at the lack of Al-Anon meetings that take place during times that I could actually attend evenings/weekends.)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My RAH actually asked some folks at AA and he got a referral. We tried someone in that group for a while and it worked out. We wanted to work on some other issues and he got another referral from some of his buddies he felt are in a similar situation as ours and got another referral.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would just open the phone book and start calling around for a marriage counselor that also has experience with addiction. If they don't have any, ask for a referral. They're like unicorns where I live, but if you're in a more populated area you should be able to find a few.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try getting on line and googling therapists in your town with addiction and couples counseling. I did that initially, then actually got a recommendation from someone in AlAnon
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

question....is your partner ALSO wanting to seek some counseling to work on communication or is this a one sided notion. (cuz that makes a HUGE difference!!! well virtually cancels out any true hope of counseling actually being effective).

do they still do those Marriage Encounter weekends or workshops? that is faith based.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your physician can make a referral if you dont feel comfortable looking for one. I personally would spend some time online looking them up, you can usually find some sort of ratings on almost anything these days but most definitely look for one with experience dealing with dependency.

Good luck with the meeting. I know how frustrating that can be. I have yet to find one I desire to go to. Advice given to me, if you can't find one you like, ask your husbands fellow A's if any of their wives are available for coffee. I have yet to try it but it sounded better than nothing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
question....is your partner ALSO wanting to seek some counseling to work on communication or is this a one sided notion. (cuz that makes a HUGE difference!!! well virtually cancels out any true hope of counseling actually being effective).

do they still do those Marriage Encounter weekends or workshops? that is faith based.
Yep, joint decision. Hmmm, hadn't thought of looking for workshops/weekends.

Thanks all!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my thinking on a workshop or weekend thing is that could be a good way to TEST the waters and see how it goes without making some other commitment that might not work. or at least not produce the results you both seek?

NA here in my area had couples retreats as well.

i'm sure you will find what works best for you!!! good luck!