1 Year Sober and no looking back!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Year Sober and no looking back!

I just want to share my pride in my boyfriend who just earned his 1 year coin last night. It has been such a fast year and it seems hard to believe.

He is 51 years old and began drinking wine and beer when he was 6. From age 12, he never went 24 hours of his life without drinking. Alcohol wasn't just an addiction, it was part of his identity. He was Good Time George! It terrified him that without alcohol, that part of him would not exist. He had to be drunk or on drugs for people to like him. Even a year later, he is still amazed by how much people love being around the sober George.

I never stopped believing that he could get sober but I had given up that he would. I am so incredibly grateful every day for his sobriety and thank God every night in my prayers. I am fully aware that it is one day at a time but he is so elated in his new life, I just know he will continue down the right path. He is very dedicated to helping other alcoholics, even when it might be horribly inconvenient for him or us. This is a man that 1 year ago was all about himself. I'm not going to pretend it has been all smiles and whistles. Changing your life in 3 weeks at rehab makes for a lot of adjustments and priority changes.

As recommended on here, we both read the "To the Wives" chapter in the Big Book and discovered that we both had a lot we needed to learn about our new life together. That has made all the differencein the world.

I truly believe that he is living proof that anyone COULD do it, if they only WOULD.

Thank you for letting me share my immense happiness and pride.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done, BOTH of you! Recovery in action is beautiful, in lives.

CLMI
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Awesome!!

Congrats to you both!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad for you both, and wishing you all the best in time to come!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You are both an inspiration to all here who are struggling.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is awesome...so happy for you that it is working out for you guys. I needed a positive story today...all the best!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a fantastic anniversary to celebrate together! And it truly is inspiring to hear uplifting stories of success.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the uplifting post. My BF is coming up on 4 months sobriety, I pray we see the anniversary you just experienced. He is active in his recovery, and committed to keeping it first. I agree, there is adjustment and priority shifts, but it's good to see him happy. Funny, I just got a sponsor in AlAnon, and she asked me to read pp 1-164 of the Big Book. Tonight I read "To the Wives". I"m still early in this process, that was a difficult chapter right now.

Wishing you continued success.