Checking in...

Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in...

Sorry to disappear. All is well around here. Poh is sober, baby is four months and doing awesome - way ahead of schedule on some things and thriving.

Just busy with....
Moving: need a smaller house where master bedroom and nursery on same floor. Will move end of this month

New job: my firm was acquired a little over a year ago and it was the worst merger I've ever seen, cut the revenue on half in only six months and did three reorganizations in 12... I agreed to stick around another 8 months to help put it back on the rails but resigned with a decent severence now that its done. Looking forward to a new challenge and ready to focus now that things are settled down. Money is a stress right now. The merger from hell meant my bonus went down by $50k but I've started some home business initiatives that are making it up now. For months I was just blocked and obsessing over the alcoholism issues and not able to focus but I'm getting settled in and trying to focus now. Have a few opportunities to look at and considering doing a startup... After years of other people billing my time at $400/hr it might be nice to just cut that rate I. Half and keep it all :-)

Healing up: about ten weeks past surgery and recovering well. My days of heavy weightlifting are over but I'm getting ready to train for some 100 mile bike races in summer. Annual cancer screens all came back clear for the 4th straight year - cancer knows he's my bitch now and isn't dumb enough to try a rematch after that last ass kicking. Alas my back now has enough surgical scars that nude modeling is out as a potential career.

Marriage: we've had a lot of stuff to deal with over the past year but things are normalizing now. I'm learning NOT to stuff down things to avoid conflict and have learned to say no to what I don't accept. She is learning to pick her battles and that I respond much better to a nice request than a not so nice demand. She's still emotional and irrational in my eyes at times, I'm still too analytical and stubborn in hers but that's a new marriage. We are dealing with more normal couples issues these days, not alcoholism issues.

Big picture ...crisis time has passed, vigilant but no longer paralyzed at the prospect of a future one. Time to look ahead. Moving locally this month but when eldest goes to college in a year and a half the question "Why do I not live next to the ocean?" Will get louder and louder. Time to catch up and get back in good financial, emotional and physical shape and attack the second half of my life armed with the hard win knowledge and experience gained In The first half. Mainly, having learned to let go and not be so reactive and worries about things out of my control...

Will be back when I get a chance to sit down and rest ;-)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

dEAR pOHSFRIEND, I have wondered h ow you were doing---Soo, thrilled to read your post. Wow, you sound so different that a few months ago. I am so hopeful that you two keep growing as a couple---and just experience the joy of living!

You have so much to look forward to. Please keep us informed as you go forward. You are a part of the forum family. Also, others need the benefit of what you have to offer.

May the Force be with you,
sincerely, dandylion
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So good to hear from you - missed you and your wisdom! Very glad that the crisis has been survived, and that you're all on to the business of making a happy life

The ocean IS very beautiful and peaceful.....

ShootingStar1
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about you today! Glad to hear life is going well. Keep us updated.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing.
Lovely to hear from you.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for updating us - I became my own boss this year due to a downsizing and layoff and I am loving it! Glad you are well!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool Pohfriend
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well, good luck with your job prospects.

C-OH Dad
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good to hear! I pop in once in a while, but haven't seen you around.