The upside to facebook..

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The upside to facebook..

Like many people I suppose, I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I will note that I joined in 2010, two years after my divorce, so I never had issues with the ex because he was never my "friend." Anyway, I get annoyed by all the "share this if you love your mom/dad/sister/brother/son/daughter" stuff, and by the people who constantly send game requests, and the other things that also annoy most people. I don't spend much time on it, maybe once a day, but every now and then something good happens to me because of facebook.

In the last two months, I have reconnected with two friends who I thought I would probably never see or hear from again. In January, I got a friend request from someone I had not seen in 18 years. She was friends with me and my ex before we were even married, and the last time I saw her, my daughter was two. (She's twenty now.) Anyway, she friended me and sent me the link to her website. I was looking around it and noticed that she is a birder. I looked at her "life list" and noted that there was no bald eagle on it. So I sent her a message telling her if she came to visit, I could almost guarantee a bald eagle sighting. I also told her that the bald eagles are here mostly in January and February, so keep that in mind. I expected a response along the lines of, great maybe one of these days. Instead, she asked if she could come and visit the second week in February--this year! She came and spent a week and we had an amazing time catching up with each other and now she wants to come back again in a few months. Someone I never expected to see again is now in touch and we plan to get together again. How cool is that?

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about someone I knew many years ago, and wondering whatever happened to him. I couldn't even remember his last name it was so long ago. I racked my brain trying to remember, and eventually I let it go and resigned it to the "fond memories" part of my brain. Today, I got a friend request from him! As soon as I saw the name, I remembered. This was the person I was thinking about. I accepted the request and went and looked at his timeline. As it turns out, he shares my passion for photography and has a talent for wildlife. Amazing.

I can't help but wonder if these people coming back into my life after so long means something or has some purpose. Maybe it's just that I'm putting out the vibe that draws them back to me after so many years. Whatever it is, I'm grateful for facebook for reconnecting me with long lost friends and discovering that no matter how much we have changed, there was something that drew us together all those years ago and that something still remains.

L
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Sounds to me like God is working in your life!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great story! But I have a burning question..... Did she see a bald eagle?

If not, she (and you) got MUCH more out of the visit.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, we saw bald eagles. More than a dozen of them. (I know where they hang out, lol)

Plus, she added three other new birds to her list.

L
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I knew there were upsides to Facebook!!!

No, seriously, I don't mind it in most cases, just amazed at how some folks live their lives like a reality show on Facebook.

I am glad it has brought you new connections! And an old friend got an adventure that she will never forget!

It cracks me up that some people would looooove to see a bald eagle, when up here, we try to avoid them, especially with small dogs! ; ) I actually got swooped by a young eagle while running in the woods. He came at me twice. The second time I hit him with a stick. He didn't try that again, but it scared the crap out of me! Young or not, they have serious talons and I like my scalp right where it is, thank you very much!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some pics from our birding adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
onthehunt.jpg (25.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red tail hawk.
Attached Images
eating.jpg (54.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tundra swans. (Also the one in my avatar was from that day.)
Attached Images
flightoftheswans.jpg (12.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A charming male swan trying to woo a female.
Attached Images
dancewithme.jpg (70.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thousands of snow geese.
Attached Images
fly.jpg (54.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, we saw bald eagles. More than a dozen of them. (I know where they hang out, lol)
Excellent! Beautiful photos.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Young or not, they have serious talons and I like my scalp right where it is, thank you very much!
Well, they can't help it. They are BALD--they just want to borrow a little of your hair.

Ever seen one with a bad comb-over? Not pretty.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, they can't help it. They are BALD--they just want to borrow a little of your hair.

Ever seen one with a bad comb-over? Not pretty.

YIKES!! You're right!!!!!