husbands looking for help

Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

husbands looking for help

My name is Steve, i am married to a beautiful girl but she is an alcoholic and things are getting really hard. I'm in Amsterdam and i trying to find some help. if anyone knows of anywhere i can talk to someone please let me know.

thank you, Steve
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Steve,

Al-Anon is the best resource I know of. Here is a link to its Netherlands site: Al-Anon Netherlands
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Stick around here and make yourself at home. This is a wonderful resource of support and information.

Some of our stories are posted in the permanent posts at the top of this main forum page. They are the threads with a little padlock symbol in the left column. We refer to those threads as the Sticky Posts or Stickies.

Keep reading, posting and venting; we are here to support you.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you, do you know if they have an englis speaking page.

thanks, Steve
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - here is a great place to "talk". Lots of friendly folks who have been there and done that. Please post questions and read as much as you can so you can understand her disease.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Steve - welcome to SR, sorry for the pain that's brought you here. Many of us here at SR know the pain you're going through - you're not alone.

It does look like there are English-speaking Al Anon meetings in the Netherlands, but for some strange reason, my browser won't let me go there to see the listings (it keeps warning me about malware on the site). If you use the Google translate option on the main Al Anon page for the Netherlands, you should see a link for the English speaking meetings at the bottom of the page. There should be a listing of English speaking meetings by day & by town (although again, I'm just going by what Google tells me since I can't get to the site).

If you have trouble finding an in-person meeting in English, there are always online meetings you can go to for Al Anon. There's also Smart Recovery, which has online meetings for friends & family of A's on Monday evenings at 9 EST (US)...they don't have a presence in Amsterdam from what I can see, but they do have a presence in the UK, so you may be able to find online meetings through the UK site that wouldn't have you getting up in the wee hours of the morning to "attend."

Coming to SR to reach out for help & support is a fantastic first step in YOUR recovery. Keep seeking help and keep reaching out, and remember to take care of you. Sending you strength, hope, and hugs.