OT--Back on the horse

Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT--Back on the horse

LOL, no, I didn't meet a new alcoholic to date. This is a LITERAL horse.

I have my first vacation to Europe (Barcelona) planned for early May, and I added in a riding weekend up in the mountains. It's two days of riding, four nights in a Fourteenth Century farmhouse. Anyway, I love to ride, but have done very little (if any) in the past 10 years. So I am out of shape, plus I have only ridden Western since I was a kid, and although this place has SOME Western tack, they mostly use English.

So I found one of those Amazon "deals" for half-price private riding lessons and went on my first one today. Boy, I can really feel it, and I didn't do anything but walk and trot. Still, had a great time and I like the teacher very much. It was nice having a private lesson--more attention so I can focus on what I am doing wrong. I don't get out and do stuff too much, but in the past two weeks I have been out to rock concerts twice and now riding!

I always tend to sort of deny myself those kinds of outings because I feel guilty not getting more stuff done at home. I know, I know. I'm working on changing that.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I grew up with horses and rode a bit in rodeos (barrel races). Haven't ridden in a number of years, but I remember being wrecked after a ride when not doing it regularly. Enjoy! I am envious... ; )

I need to get out more. Just challenging with teenagers - having a kid in college and one almost driving - I am broke all the time. I keep telling myself, this too shall pass...

In the meantime, just have to live vicariously through you, Lexie! Can't wait to see photos after your trip in May.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG! Barcelona AND a riding trip out to the countryside? Definitely worth a sore butt in my book.

L
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you Lexiecat, enjoy.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too grew up around horses, my best friend as a teen had a stable, lots of show horses and we used go riding quite often.

Such freedom in riding. I really miss it!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So what concerts did you get to see????
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

A week ago Friday I went to see The Who in Atlantic City. Went by myself, had a great seat (not that anyone sat during the show), and they were STILL awesome (lol, saw them in college when Keith Moon was still alive, and I have very little memory of the show, other than Roger Daltry swinging that mic around).

This past Friday I went with some AA friends to a concert in the basement of the Unitarian Universalist Church in Phila. They like funky new bands, and there were three of them playing: Wampire (don't even have a CD out yet, but liked them a lot), Foxygen (which is the band my friends most wanted to see but the lead singer acted like a jerk and he was high on something), and Unknown Mortal Orchestra (also good). It was fun--my friends were a pretty disappointed in the band they wanted to see, but we had a good time, all in all.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So awesome for you! I would love to see pics of the trip, too. I grew up with horses but haven't rode for a while. I guess you'll have to build up those inner thigh muscles especially if you're going to be riding English. I grew up riding Western, too.

Like Tuffgirl, I did some barrel racing and bareback riding, as well. My mom still has horses and I love visiting her farm. Unfortunately, they don't ride their horses anymore so they're just for pleasure and beauty. I really do hope you enjoy everything leading up to this trip and then the trip itself. Keep us updated on your riding progress!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's the tour I'm going on: Catalonia Weekend Ride. You gotta check out the video.

I've had this site bookmarked for at least three years, fantasizing about one of these trips. I would LOVE to do one of the Morocco rides, but all of them are at least a week--and I think that long in the saddle right now would do me in. If I keep up with the riding, though (which I am hoping to do), maybe in a couple of years I'll go for it.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Very cool and can't wait to see the pics! I've ridden twice and both times were thrown. Fortunately I was young and didn't break a hip or anything.. lol
I'll dive with sharks but keep a safe distance from horses.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds wonderful Lexie! RAH and I went riding about a year ago for 2 hours - I could barely move the next day. Wish it was more available here I do enjoy it.