OT Moving to Washington D.C

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Arrow OT Moving to Washington D.C

So my manager asked me if I could live in the US for at least a year, possibly more time. I said yes. Providing IT support to a large financial entity in Washington D.C.

Of course, I would have to leave my cats here, and the thought makes me want to cry.

I was thinking this US thing is temporary and maybe I could even adopt an American cat while there and then bring it to my home country. Cats have helped me deal with depression big time. I don't know how I would cope there alone and without any pet.

For now, I have to travel again today to grab some documents. The visa takes around 2 months.

I am stressed but also kind of excited. I admire a lot of things of the American culture.

Of course, I feel technically underprepared and afraid, but oh well, I don't think I have ever felt prepared for anything major in life. I know I am smart and a hard worker. I will make it and it will look good in my résumé.

Just sharing the news!

Tc999
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow TC - that sounds like a big adventure! And to a city rich of American history! What an amazing opportunity!

Keep us posted on all the details...and looking forward to photos when you get there.
Cheers,
~T
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like fun! DC is a great area, there is so much to explore!

The humane society always needs foster parents for cats until they can be adopted. Maybe that is something you could do also?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oooooh TC I just left Washington D.C. because of work, the same reason you are going. It is one of the most beautiful places in the USA. There is so much in the way of culture, especially art, and the people are very involved in doing what they can to better the world. I think you are going to love it.

One suggestion. Find out where you are going to work, then go online and look at the subway routes. Get a place close to the subway stations even if it is more expensive. The city is _not_ designed for cars and a lot of people don't even own because the traffic is so bad.

Except for the "red line", that subway route is always under repair.

Mike
* who wishes he could have seen more of the sights in DC *
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually it shouldn't be that difficult to bring your cats, lol

Up to date health certificates from your Vetrinarian and I believe 30 day
home quarantine and they will be cleared. And since they are indoor
cats, being quarantine in your new apartment/home won't be a problem,
lol

Check it out. Or as said you could become a 'foster' mom for the local
humane society wherever you end up living.

Welcome to the U.S.! You will be in an area of our country that is very
rich in our 235+ year history.

Hopefully, since you will be here for at least a year (they may like you
so much you can stay longer) you will get the opportunity to travel to
other parts of the U.S. also

I am prejudice, of course, rofl but I do think we have a pretty great
country. But I must share, that my second favorite place to be, that I
absolutely fell in love with back in '87 is Australia! I have been there
13 different trips, some of which were for 6 weeks or longer and am
planning to return this late fall for at least 3 months!!! (It will be just
coming late spring and into summer there!!).

So sending good thoughts and prayers for an easy move and transition
to the U.S.!!! You might become a bit spoiled over the next year with
all the 'convenient locations' of many stores, salons, vets, malls, etc rofl
Oh and tons and tons of Alanon meetings too, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love it here in DC and live directly above a station on the aforementioned Metro red line (which I love). I also have a car and regularly drive in the city, so to each their own. I rent a space to park the car so don't have any trouble parking when I get back home at night. However, for the most part, I can just take the train or walk wherever I need to go.

I've lived all over the world, and this is really one of the great cities. It has a vibe that is unlike anywhere else. It's not necessarily better, but certainly very different from anywhere else I have lived. I'm sure you'll love it.

It's a true international city with a lot of cultural activities and a fantastic food scene. There are a lot of transients here so it's also an excellent place to meet other like-minded travelers who may or may not be here for a long time.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like a great adventure!

I would love to live near D.C. (our home office is there), but it isn't practical for me to relocate right now. Maybe in the future if I keep working there and ever get my house fixed to the point where it can be sold. But it's a neat place to visit, and the people I know who live there love it.

I've only been down there a couple of times in the past year or so, though it's only a little over two hours' drive for me. I think this will be GREAT for you!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you will love it in DC. I live about 50 miles outside of DC but can easily be therein just over an hour. There is so much to see and do and I concur with others regarding such a diverse area to live in. Also fostering rescue animals is really a dire need in this area.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you dear SR friends for your useful tips and support. So, I need to avoid the red line, then?

I will definitely check out an apartment close to the subway. I like to use subways. I like to see people. I also used to love a cartoon where a kid took a train and traveled the Universe, go figure. I imagine I am in that futuristic Central station.

Thank you laurie/ for some reason I was convinced it was not possible and now that I know I might import the cats, I am much happier!! I will ask a vet/airline and possibly the embassy when I go for the interview.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of vacations but hopefully from there I can go to Paris to visit my sister. My new nephew arrives on July! I already told my mom to visit me in D.C. and we can take the plane to Paris together. LOL I am already making too many plans and I have not even started the process. Oh well.

D.C sounds very interesting and I love to meet activists and people in human rights, advocacy, NGOs, etc, I hope I can take part in other activities besides work. I also learned I can study so maybe I can take some course related to arts/fashion! Not to mention the GREAT books/magazines...

Yes, I am not even there and can already feel spoiled
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ohh laurie, Australia sounds SO amazing, I am glad you are going back. My mom and I would love to see Ayers Rock one day. Hopefully we can make it.

This planet is absolutely awesome and we are very lucky to get to know other places.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

BTW, Its sad to hear there are a lot of uncared for animals over there as well
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck, TC! Sounds like a wonderful adventure. I hope you can bring your cats...I know how important pets are for us 2-legged creatures.

Hugs,
posie
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks posie!

And yes indeed, I hope I can join CODA meetings.. Alanon, I am not so sure now that gladly there is no alcohol in my life.... but CODA, I really need to go and sit in the first row LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I hope I can go to NY again ! I loved it when I went once. And I would also love to visit the Niagara Falls.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I've lived just outside of DC in the suburbs of Northern Virginia all my life and can tell you it's a great place to live. The only down sides are it's crowded with lots of traffic during peak rush hour and it's stupid cold in January and February. Other than that this place just plain rocks. If you can get here before spring time you will be amazed at how beautiful it can be here. Bring your camera and if there's anything you need or want to know PM me.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh you are a lucky girl D.C. is a fabulous place to live. My brother lived there for 4 years and I visited often. He lived in Rosslyn, VA which is across the bridge from Georgetown. We walked to Georgetown often and the subway was close so even though he had a car he really did not need one.

He hated moving from there and still says it was one of the best experiences of his life. Please bring your cats! I have 3 and they go with me now on trips (surprisingly they don't mind a car ride).
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Yeah Ballston or Rosslyn is really worth considering. You can easily metro into the city from there. Great place for young professionals.. trust me you would have a blast.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you very much for the feedback !! I will look for a place in those areas.

Thank you, otherwise I would have no idea about where to look :S

You have helped me get more excited about upcoming adventures, and less afraid
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It looks to me like you'll have lots of folks to recommend places to go and things to see!

I lived just outside of DC when I was a kid - my Dad was in the military and stationed at the Pentagon. It was a lovely 3 years of sight-seeing all around the region...so much history! I fondly remember a two week stay on the coast in a little town called Chincoteague (Welcome to the Chincoteague Island, Virginia First Official Tourist page). Put that down on your list of must-sees.

I have been back a few times but only for work/conferences so not much time to play - but the museums...WOW... I could spend a week just hanging around the museums. You are going to LOVE it there. I am so excited for you!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks a lot, friends! tomorrow and the day after tomorrow I have appointments at the US Embassy in Mexico city, I have my papers ready. There is an interview and I am nervous but I have everything in order.

Jazzman thanks for your PM! I have not had a chance to reply yet but I will.