She wants to end the marriage

Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She wants to end the marriage

We have been married 27 years. Its sometimes hard to remember dates or even periods of years as looking back everything appears timeless. But I remember this, In November 2003 we had storm damage to our house, severe damage. Neighbors came over late at night to help put a patch on the roof and clean up water damage. My wife sat on the sofa drinking wine until she lay there asleep while all of this is going on.

This was the proverbial light bulb going off over my head. I knew she drank/we drank but this was the first acceptance I had of a real problem with her drinking.
I honestly can say that there has not been a day in the last ten years that the whole family has not been under the influence of her . Drinking, pills, or trying not to drink or take pills. either one, she was the center of attention.

Ten years later, two rehabs the first out patient the second just 5 months ago in - patient for 37 days. Three surgery's & one auto accident added pain pills to her diet. 10 years of working full time and being Mr. Mom to our three daughters during her low periods and guess what? She informs me over lunch today that it is me that has been at the root of her problems. she wants out of the marriage.

Thank God for Al-Anon I have been going for 5 months. Her consular at rehab advised me to check it out. It defies all logic, the person I care most about just told me good bye and I am not doing that bad.
Hearing people talk at meetings & reading this board has let me know that this is pretty typical behavior for recovering addicts. I kind of expected it(not today though) Self absorbed & uncaring that pretty much sums her up ever sense she got home from rehab.

See about tomorrow when its gets here, today I am OK,
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are OK today. Hang in there. Mind-baffling aren't they?! I also am thankful for Alanon - it is helping us take better care of ourselves - and helps us to let them fend for themselves (because they certainly don't fend for us.)

I wish you the best - and that one day you look back on this day as one of the biggest blessings you have ever received!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, rf1a. I agree - baffling.

But keep in mind, even in recovery, she may change her mind just as easily as she decided to end it with you. Early recovery is bumpy and emotional. She is learning to cope in ways she never had to before. She has to also face a lot of shame and guilt. It's much easier on the ego to blame others!

More will be revealed. I hope you can have some patience and a hefty dose of tolerance right now.

Keep coming back!
~T
Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey,

Sorry for the added chaos, but this may ultimately be a blessing in disguise. Glad you are already hooked up with Al-Anon--you have a leg up on dealing with something like this.

Stick around and keep posting. We are here to support you, too.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Believe me when I tell you it is not "you" it is her. You are not to be blamed for this disease. It did not strike me until I was 44 years old, it came "out of the blue" . I do not know what set it off, nor do I know how to get rid of it. Please do not blame yourself. I liken it to a demon invasion of my soul. As I continue to pray for myself, I will pray for you and your precious daughters!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Sorry. 27 years wow! And through all of it for her to do this. Horrible!
But you are right its typical. Selfish life drainers hopefully it all turns around for you.
Give her the space to heal herself while you heal.
Sometimes things just happen for a reason ..hopefully that reason is that you feel whole again.
Bless you
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you for going to Alnon & focusing on yourself.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like she handed you the gift of freedom - take it. I'm sorry, that sounds quite blunt, and you wonder why she's choosing now after all you've done for her.

But, things don't happen for a reason. I'm sure you have grown and learned much over these years - things you can take with you as you carry on with your life and become even stronger in who you are individually, and not as a person consumed by an alcoholic.

Blessings to you,
C-OH Dad
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the support, I got home after work, she had made dinner! that never happens! Then she went into the bedroom, changed and went to yoga. never ate with us or said she was leaving, stayed out 3 hours, came home took her sleeping pills and went to bed.

Today she wants to meet for lunch, again. To bad I am to busy for that today.

day at a time
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This may indeed be a blessing. Keep going to Al-Anon and focusing on what is good for you, because that ultimately is what will be good for all.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Now if my wife would just do the same...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Now if my wife would just do the same...
Cook you dinner, or end the marriage?