AH in rehab for third time....help!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, Im so greatful to you all! I really appreciate the experience from those of you who have also dealt with the issues regarding mental health. It is like another layer to this desease, and one that I believe and it sounds like so many of you do too, that he alone has the power to get the help he needs and to stay on track and take it seriously. I go out into the world a stronger person knowing you all are here for me. I know that sounds silly, but its true! You all have given me the courage to not just be depressed and a victim but to get myself and my kids some help. I am so thrilled to tell you all I found a local Al-Anon meeting five minutes from my home and its tonight!!!!!! I am actually excited to go so I can create a network around myself in addition to this site of people who will not judge, and will understand. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I swear this is saving my sanity right now. I will be staying around and staying in this process with the support of all of you!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow! A meeting 5 minutes away? I'd say your higher power is hard at work, yes?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, this higher power has been present in this process before, and if you all will indulge me, I am going to quickly tell you about it.

My AH has actually attempted suicide once before. It sucks to even write that....but it is true. My daughter was only 3 or 4 at the time, and my son was 6 or 7. I woke to see my husband not in the bed. I went into the living room to find him un-responsive on the couch. I was freaking out, but got the kids in the room without too much notice, and quickly called 911. It was during a blazing snow storm and the fire department/abulance had to park at the bottom of our street and run up to the house. all of the craziness of trying to get my AH stable insued, and of course, they discovered he had taken an entire bottle of Ambien that he had gotten from a doctor because of his inability to sleep. So, they took him to the hospital, and after getting my family to help get the kids to school, before too long, there I was, alone in the house...familiar scene, crying my eyes out on the bed. After hours, I looked to my side, and there, I see this little blue book. I dont know where it came from, but there it was....open to a page. You all may have some experience with this book, it was one from Al-Anon. It was open to a page about how this desease rips families apart and the damage it does. I burst into tears. I know my AH hadnt put it there, I had never seen it. Did I get the hint and go to Al-Anon? nope. It turns out that his father who had just passed away, and had lived in the same house before we bought it, was in AA as well. He somehow had that book, but even my husband doesnt remember it in the house. I, to this day, think that was his nudging to me. I just wasnt ready at the time to accept that gift. But I am now. I hope this message wasnt too long and dragging on, but I also thought it may remind some of us to get help.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Your relationship & life sounds very unhealthy.
I think it's time to focus on you & get healthy again.
When we get healthy we are able to make better decisions.
Best of luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Enjoy your meeting tonight--this time is for YOU!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you feel his medication is not right then perhaps its time to look for a new Doctor, or to have him go inpatient to a psychiatric hospital.

There are plenty of bad Dr's out there - research is worth it. A good one can change your life. For RAH we have had to wait as long as 5 months to get in to see a great Dr. A GP should not be prescribing to your husband - only a psychiatrist and your husband should be seeing a psychiatrist every month until his cocktail works.

I think this is a sticky situation regarding co-dependency, but when mental illness is not being treated that person is often unable to help themselves. I wouldn't beat myself up too much trying to accomplish this - it would only happen if he was willing to cooperate. I have stopped managing my husband's health care with the exception of some help with his Bi-Polar. I do his pills every night and I will make his Psychiatrist appt's. Its more for my mental health LOL.

If you have had enough I understand that too. Will keep you in my prayers tonight and hope you enjoyed Al Anon.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I went to the meeting tonight, and I really enjoyed just how welcoming people were and of course, how the content was so relavant to my life. When it came time for me to share, I clammed up and almost just started crying. Several times i had to calm myself down or I would have had to run out of the room crying. I wanted to try to hold it together just one night. It wasnt because Im depressed, but rather because I could feel how much everyone seemed to truly care how I was doing. I was the only newbie in the room, so they had respectfully turned thier attention to me, and it made me want to cry. I really liked the meeting, and they were all so excited about it. One member went from book to book on the table to tell me what the main perspective of the book was written for. They just were so sweet. Im really happy I went!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to hear! I'm working up the guts to go to my first tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Its pretty liberating to discover its out there! Good luck!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yay!! So glad you went. This is a huge gift you just gave yourself!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! I cry at every Alanon meeting!