Strattera and antidepressants

Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strattera and antidepressants

Quick question; my AH was given a prescription for Strattera this week. He is still on Paxil and trazadone for depression. I don't know much about the Strattera except that it is a stimulant. Can anyone shed some light on things for me? AH is back on a new dry spell and is trying to commit harder to making our family work. He is going to weekly counseling sessions to his own psychologist and he's made various other changes, but now that a new medication is being introduced I am fearful that it will upset the balance we are working so hard to get back.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
Quick question; my AH was given a prescription for Strattera this week. He is still on Paxil and trazadone for depression. I don't know much about the Strattera except that it is a stimulant. Can anyone shed some light on things for me? AH is back on a new dry spell and is trying to commit harder to making our family work. He is going to weekly counseling sessions to his own psychologist and he's made various other changes, but now that a new medication is being introduced I am fearful that it will upset the balance we are working so hard to get back.
I was on anti depressants for decades.
Many G.Ps know very little about them and tend to experiment.
Trazadone is not available here; think it can cause priapism.
My last anti depressant (Moclobemide) raised my liver enzymes.
Suggest you get a second medical opinion, there can be all kinds of interactions.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Liza,

I'm writing to remind you and others about SoberRecovery's Rule 10 in which we are not allowed to ask for or give medical advice. Personal experience with a specific medicine, however, is fine.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Carry on.....
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Hello Liza,

I'm writing to remind you and others about SoberRecovery's Rule 10 in which we are not allowed to ask for or give medical advice. Personal experience with a specific medicine, however, is fine.

Carry on.....
Oh yes, I knew that. I was looking for people's experience with these meds or combination thereof. I probably wasn't clear in my original post. Thx!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Strattera is an ADHD med although it might be prescribed for other things I do not know about. It is a non-stimulant.

My only knowledge is regarding kids, not adults. As with all ADHD meds it works for some and not for others.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Strattera is an ADHD med although it might be prescribed for other things I do not know about. It is a non-stimulant.

My only knowledge is regarding kids, not adults. As with all ADHD meds it works for some and not for others.
I knew that much about it because they wanted to put my son on it a few years ago but it was going to make his Tourette's tics worse so I turned it down. I guess I was wondering if it would be a problem to be taking antidepressants AND Strattera and the possibility that he will still drink? He says he's clean, but he drank 2 weeks ago and he usually binges about once a month or so. I'm just concerned about medication interaction as his psychiatrist doesn't seem to know the whole story regarding AH's alcohol abuse.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My thoughts: Stay inside your own hula-hoop. What he tells his doctors, what meds they prescribe, whether he drinks again or not are things over which you have no control. If he makes bad decisions that result in not so nice consequences, that is his problem. You are worrying about something that may or may not even happen. Take everything one day at a time. Don't borrow trouble.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
My thoughts: Stay inside your own hula-hoop. What he tells his doctors, what meds they prescribe, whether he drinks again or not are things over which you have no control. If he makes bad decisions that result in not so nice consequences, that is his problem. You are worrying about something that may or may not even happen. Take everything one day at a time. Don't borrow trouble.
thank you, well said and a gentle reminder to me!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Has AH been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Has AH been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?
He was when he was a child and was on Ritalin for 9 years. He started abusing alcohol when he was 14 while he was taking Ritalin but I know that Strattera is a different kind of med for ADHD than Ritalin was especially 25 years ago. He suffered liver damage from Ritalin, as well.