I Understand It’s About the Kardashians, But Still…

Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Understand It’s About the Kardashians, But Still…

Alcohol is killing AH’s brain.

A little background information before I illustrate. I do not care for television at all; as far as I’m concerned, it exists to play movies, either on DVD or Netflix, and video games (we have a Wii, an Xbox and a Playstation 3, plus more computers than people in our household). If I watch a television series, I tend to wait until it’s been on the air for awhile, then watch it either on – you guessed it – DVD or Netflix. I hate news programs; the bias of the media, the sloppy reporting and their fascination with celebrities, so I tend to get my news from the internet. When AH is out of town on business I rarely turn on the television, and spend most of my evenings listening to the peaceful silence of our house.

AH, on the other hand, has the television on every waking minute we’re not at work – there’s simply no getting away from it. Local news, then Good Morning America in the mornings; in the evenings it's local news, followed by national news, followed by Wheel of Fortune, followed by Jeopardy, followed by whatever is on The Cooking Channel or Food Network. If nothing is on either of those channels worth watching, then he’ll find America’s Funniest Videos or that idiotic World’s Stupidest show with all those celebrity has-beens. If all else fails, then it’s the History Network’s military channel. On the weekends, the television is on from the minute he gets up until he goes to bed.

I. Hate. It.

This morning, we went into the office an hour late (which gave AH ample time for his morning tipple, of course), so we got to watch some really inane crap on GMA. This morning, it was Kendall and Kylie Jenner promoting their new fashion line. (A little more background: AH works in the retail fashion industry and knows more about women’s fashions than most women do.) At any rate, he sat there with his iPad in his lap, playing a game and keeping about half an eye on the boob tube – something that irritates me to no end; if you’re going to have it on, watch the stupid thing! – when he finally made a comment.

“Those outfits are kind of…casual.”

“Well, they’re geared at teenagers,” I said.

“Teenagers are all in school right now.”

“Well,” I said patiently, “this isn’t really about the fashions, it’s about the girls that supposedly designed them.”

“Yeah?” he said, “who are they?”

I made an exasperated sound. “They’re Bruce and Chris Jenner’s teenage daughters.”

“Really? Bruce Jenner is celebrity enough that his daughters are on GMA with their own fashion line?”

“Argh! No! They’re famous because of their sisters!”

“Who are their sisters??” This obviously wasn’t getting any clearer for him.

“The Kardashian sisters!” I had to laugh.

“Whaaaaa…??”

“Kim Kardashian’s mother is married to Bruce Jenner.”

“Did this happen recently?” he asked, a bit incredulously.

“Obviously not, if they have teenage daughters,” I replied.

After a minute, he said, “It’s frightening that you know all of this.”

“Well, what do you expect – you have the darn television on every waking minute. How the heck could I NOT know it?”

“Maybe I should leave it off then, if that’s the kind of influence it has on you.”

Yes, you can be amazed I haven’t killed this man yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow - I live in the UK and very single day there is a Kardashian on the front pages of our newspapers so my dad even knows them and he is 77 years old!

On a totally different level but still Kardashian related, I am the only one who thinks they all dress like hookers and design hooker like clothing?!!!!

They have designed a range for a fashion chain in the UK and wow, its vile!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Enough about him,how was your Alanon meeting?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL,

I'm the same way about TV. My last ex-SO (who was NOT an alcoholic--not even close) had the damn thing on 24/7. When I finally kicked him out I so enjoyed the silence that eight years later I can barely stand to have it on (unless, like you, I am watching Netflix or a DVD or something--the current season of Breaking Bad, when it starts again, will be an exception. Those can't wait.).

Still, I gotta admit, I barely know who the Kardashians are (other than the lawyer who once represented O.J., the murdering S.O.B.), and I vaguely remember Bruce Jenner was an Olympic star. I see the Ks mentioned in the media all over the place and deliberately skip the stories.

Call me culturally impaired, but I figure I've lived long enough to have earned the right to not give a crap about certain things.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hate TV and my ex-husband had it on all the time... I don't really miss it at all!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Jan, your conversation with your husband would make a great addition to the thread on "QUACKERS"!!

sincerely, dandylion
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He should already know that if he works in the fashion industry. SMH.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally hate TV too. It overwhelms and depresses me. Maybe it is a codie or HSP thing?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Or maybe that so much of what's on TV these days is crap?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I found in my first number of months out from it all hitting the fan that TV shows were very distracting (I have never had a TV when I have lived by myself)....luckily I got Netflicks and gorged myself on TV series all in a fell swoop.

They actually had more drauma then my life did. It was nice to feel like the sane one for a bit.

As I have healed the distraction is less needed. My loved one also loved the TV, and I wonder if some of it is just another way to distract from how he/she is feeling?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love trash TV. It's a great way to get out of your own head and watch something stupid and unserious for an hour.

If your escapist entertainment takes over your life -- whether it be the Kardashians, video games, movies, games on your cell phone -- and you can't interact with other people, you have a problem.

I got cranky with my AH fresh out of rehab because of his TV watching habits, and someone on these boards smacked me down about it. And the truth is that it wasn't the programming that bothered me -- it was that he was invested in ignoring life around him, and that I felt he had maturity issues, and he wasn't helping out around the house, and I felt emotionally ignored. It wasn't really about the programming at all.