Owning Our Power

Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Owning Our Power

Thursday, February 7, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Owning Our Power

We need to make a distinction between powerlessness and owning our power.

The first step in recovery is accepting powerlessness. There are some things we can't do, no matter how long or hard we try. These things include changing other people, solving their problems, and controlling their behavior. Sometimes, we feel powerless over ourselves - what we feel or believe, or the effects of a particular situation or person on us.

It's important to surrender to powerlessness, but it's equally important to own our power. We aren't trapped. We aren't helpless. Sometimes it may feel like we are, but we aren't. We each have the God-given power, and the right, to take care of ourselves in any circumstance, and with any person. The middle ground of self-care lies between the two extremes of controlling others and allowing them to control us. We can walk that ground gently or assertively, but in confidence that it is our right and responsibility.

Let the power come to walk that path.

Today, I will remember that I can take care of my self. I have choices, and I can exercise the options I choose without guilt.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is so true. Instead of dwelling solely on our powerlessness, we must determine what power we do have - the wisdom to change the things we can change - and we must act. We were not made completely powerless. We have all been blessed with gifts and talents There are always things we can do to help ourselves.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A close friend of mine who knows how much church means to me as a sanctuary invited a 3rd person to church last week. The third person has stirred up a lot of drama and said a lot of untrue things about me.

When I walked in and saw the Drama-mongerer in my sacred space, I panicked and walked out. I felt guilty for not being able to just deal with it, but I protected my very anxious self from someone who triggers me.

I think that was an act of kindness to me. I can worship God anywhere. I no longer force myself to be around people who wish me ill.