SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Moving Forward (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/283113-moving-forward.html)

BlueSkiesAgain 02-02-2013 04:36 PM

Moving Forward

Just wanted to check in and say that things are going well.

My 21yo AS is sober and has been doing great. He will finish college this semester. He is attending AA and has a sponsor.

As for me - I have found a "sponsor" also. It is a lady who has been involved with AA and Al-anon for 28 years. She has been extremely helpful and I am learning to put me first.

I started taking Zumba and Yoga classes and just over all working on me. I sleep well most nights and actually enjoy having my son around.

I know it is early in recovery for both of us but we are both in much better places. It is a one day at a time process but my whole family is on the truly on the road to recovery.

Thank you all for all the words of wisdom - even those I didn't really want to hear.

dollydo 02-02-2013 04:40 PM

Fantastic!

LexieCat 02-02-2013 04:45 PM

Awesome--so glad you checked in!

Hope you will pop in, now and then, at least. It's always good to have people posting about good stuff happening as a result of recovery.

inpieces314 02-02-2013 05:13 PM

You know when it's working for you when it works so quickly.

But don't get complacent, because that's one of those traps. Keep with it.

EVEN if he slips, your recovery is just as important to maintain.

Maylie 02-02-2013 05:23 PM

I'm happy everything is going good right now! It is always a wonderful feeling when things start to fall in place :)

Just make sure that you don't put off your recovery because things seem to go smoothly for a while. It gets hard to keep doing all the work when things are good but it is important not to let up on everything you have been doing :)

hugs

BlueSkiesAgain 02-03-2013 05:21 AM

Thanks to all of you. One thing I noticed that was similar for both my son and I is that when we really decided to move forward (him to sober up - me to quit coddling) we started to address ourselves and how we looked and felt. For me it was getting into an exercise program for my son it was to change the way he looked. He said he still looked like a drunk even tho he was sober so he went and got a hair cut, bought new clothes, and just overall wanted to look on the outside like he felt on the inside.

For us this is a family mission and we are all working it as a family.

HopefulmomtoD 02-03-2013 05:58 AM

Thanks for the update .... it is nice to hear good news sometimes. ;-)

dandylion 02-03-2013 11:13 AM

:c011::c011:Dear BlueSkies, I am so glad to hear of the progress that you and your family have made---and in such a relatively short time!!

Thanks for keeping us posted!

sincerely, dandylion

redatlanta 02-04-2013 05:23 AM

Wonderful news!