Did you know?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Not a clue, since he didn't drink much around me - a cocktail or glass of wine if we went to dinner and the occasional beer. Now, having said that, he tended to get hammered if we were at a party or family gathering where there was a lot of drinking, but I guess since half the people attending were also getting hammered I just didn't think much of it (lots of drug and alcohol abuse in both our families).

About 2 years into our relationship he began drinking on nearly a daily basis (or he simply stopped trying to hide how much he drank from me); by the time we married in to 2008 - after 9 years together - he was a high-functioning alcoholic, although I was in some pretty serious denial about it. It rapidly got worse over the next two years, and the last 3 have been pretty awful.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I did know, and being young and foolish thought I could take care of him !
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was clueless. We met in college, she was getting her PHD and I was doing the extended undergraduate degree. She was a binge drinker. Didn't drink regularly, but when she did she always got wasted. So the warning signs were there, but I either ignored them or was ignorant.

For 20 years, she kept to that pattern and only 6 years ago it got more frequent until she was drinking every day. She went from beer to wine and now her drink of choice is Vodka, quite a bit of it.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For about a year, my alcoholic and I drank heavily together. I was single, she was recently divorced and out to have a good time. She had custody of her kids every other week- which was when I spent time with her. It was all great fun- sporting events, traveling, partying in other cities, etc. Then I realized that she never wanted to stop. Then I realized she was getting drunk when we weren't together (like when home alone, sunday mornings, etc). Then the lawsuits from her EX started. She got sober for a few months, then relapsed, then I left her. We got back together about 6 months later, when she was sober again. She stayed sober for a few years, but there was other drama. Then she started relapsing every few months until present day.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I knew he drank more than I'd like when we got together - not much else occurred to me. Hindsight. I won't marry him like this....and I want to get married one day, so...yeah.

I've never been around alcoholism (that I know of) until my boss 12 years ago - but that was at enough of a distance that I just didn't realize. My boss and I work more closely together now. So between them, I have a semi sober drunk over me all day, and one underfoot all evening.

If I had been educated enough before I dove headfirst into both, I like to think I would have a different career, and still be single.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No, stbx didn't start drinking to excess and on a regular basis until about 7 years into the marriage, at that point it was just weekend binges, and progressed from there.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We were teenagers when we met, and the first couple years were all love e-mails and love letters. But then at the beginning of college I had the feeling he wasn't completely honest with me. Then I found out he wasn't (cheating, arrest for public drunkenness and resisting). Then that all got behind us, but he seemed awfully self-centered and passive-aggressive. We mostly had good times, but the bad times started to number. There was always an excuse for his behavior and it was never his fault. "He'll grow up one day" I told myself. Nope. Just got worse. And he started drinking more.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can honestly say i didn't have a single clue. We met 2.5 years ago, and i instantly had a feeling there was something about him i didn't trust - but it was instinct, and as i could not find anything.. i ignored it
i didn't find out till 12 months down the line. When he broke down one night (after a drink of course!) and told me he thought he'd had a problem for 10 years, and that his sister and father were also A's.
All i could feel at the time was the need to help him.... little did i realise, i cant.
Were still together now and have found a way to 'manage it' so to speak - he has a little relapse once every 5-6 months and then we carry on as normal with only a small amont of drink taken on a weekend.
i dont know if this will work, or why i am settling for this, and where i will be in another 2.5 years time, but at the minute i do love him so im going with it - although i know its some kind of insane.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I knew he had been sober for a long time from alcohol I didn't know that he abused his prescription pain meds (he has a chronic illness). That I found out pretty quickly once we moved in together as he couldn't stay awake and got the "nods" all the time. 3 months in I left. He got it - went to the Dr. and went through the process of reducing his dependency. Shortly thereafter he was diagnosed bi-polar. This was a blessing - correct meds have changed our life and he seldom uses his pain medications.

Though sober he had many personality traits of the 'dry drunk' . I became a total co-dependent and enabler (i.e. I did everything in managing the house as well as work fulltime). If hindsight were foresight I would have joined Al Anon much earlier in our relationship - before we ever moved in together. We are a very happy, healthy couple now and I wouldn't trade him for anything - but it was a 2 year very bumpy road.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hindsight is 20/20. How can I explain it? It's like putting a newbie at a poker table and giving her a royal flush and asking her what she has in her hand. Nothing? I don't know. You tell me! Blink blink.

So in hindsight I can say that I knew nothing, and missed scads of red flags, and dismissed the ones I recognized. I didn't see it -- right in front of me, under my nose, stinking to high heavens -- until it was so obvious I couldn't miss it.

One day I woke up and saw a giant pink neon sign in my living room that said, "YOUR HUSBAND IS AN ALCOHOLIC, DUMMY," and thought, "Wow, how long has that been there?"
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Florence.......LOL
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm with Florence. Hindsight is always 20/20. But when I was in the midst of it all, I just didn't see it for what it really was. It took the neon sign in my living room to finally shake my denial.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had no idea. All the signs were there: totally irrational behavior, fighting, and weird physical stuff. But he never smelled like alcohol, and whenever I saw him, he seemed to just drink the normal amount, usually gin and tonics. Little did I know he would arrive at our dates already drunk, and then continue to drink after he got home.*

After we had been seeing each other for about six months, he crashed a dinner I was having with a girlfriend. When he arrived I was totally shocked, firstly that he showed up uninvited as that was way out of his character, and secondly, because I had never seen anyone that drunk in my life. In fact, I didn't even think it was possible to be that drunk and still be conscious. I was both frightened and embarrassed. (I'm sure everyone on this website knows the level of intoxication I am speaking about so I won't go into details). When my girlfriend and I went to go home, I told her that we should try to take his keys from him. (He had to drive about 15 miles on a freeway to get home). For some reason, which to this day I will never understand, she said we should not. And I listened because I was so overwhelmed and upset. Somehow, thank G-d, he made it home without killing someone.*

That's when it finally sunk in he was an alcoholic. After that, all the other pieces started falling into place. I confronted him but can't remember exactly how it all played out because we have subsequently replayed the same scene together fifty times. I do remember that I went with him to his first AA meeting, and that he made a big show of pretending he was going to get sober. As a fixer, this felt extremely good to me. I felt like my love for him had led him to see the light. Hahaha. What a crock of sh*t in hindsight.