Very Strict Drinking Hours ~ Common?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
...like any good alcoholic, her preferred poison was cheap vodka.
Sorry to go off topic here, but I am curious to know why vodka seems to be the drink of choice for alcoholics...? My partner drank almost everything else, EXCEPT vodka (except on rare occasions... I think he thought be wouldn't become an alcoholic like his father et al if he avoided vodka), but it seems most end up drinking vodka, rather than scotch, gin, wine... Why? I understand that it takes longer to get drunk on beer or wine, and I can see why the alcoholics in this country stick to vodka as it is almost cheaper than water. But back in my country, and I imagine many others, all basic spirits are generally around the same price.

So why vodka? I used to think it was such an innocent "girly" drink. Sigh...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I used to see vodka as an innocent "girly" drink as well. Until it became the drink of choice for my EXAG.

I am not sure why - perhaps the fake concept that "you can't smell it on your breath?"

With her it was vodka poured in a 16-oz Diet Coke or Diet Mountain Dew bottle. I've even seen it with McDonalds orange juice at 8 am on a Sunday morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One of the main reasons vodka becomes the drink of choice is the myth that it is odorless.

It does have a less noticeable odor if you have only one or two standard drinks. But no alcoholic drinks that way, and vodka reeks like anything else if you drink a lot of it. And alcoholics often have that distinctive smell that comes out of their pores, as well (forget the chemical given off).

In addition, you can throw vodka into virtually anything else (lemonade, grapefruit juice, etc.) and easily conceal it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
What A's think we are so stupid is beyond me.
I used to think this. I would get so mad because I took it as a form of disrespect...as an insult to my intelligence. But I've come to realize that it's not really about that.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I would get so mad because I took it as a form of disrespect...as an insult to my intelligence.
I understand that very well - I've asked AH on more than one occasion when he tries to hide his drinking from me, "Do you really think I'm that stupid??" It took awhile for me to realize this behavior is not about fooling me - it's about him fooling himself.

Cheap vodka is also my AH's choice of drink, for a couple of reasons: first, it's cheap. He used to be a rum and Diet Coke kind of guy, but we made some major changes to our diet a couple of years ago and no longer drink soda. Now it's vodka in tomato juice, or occasionally apple cider, in the mornings and vodka in unsweetened ice tea the rest of the time. It's so much more healthful, don't you know.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Audrey1 View Post
Sorry to go off topic here, but I am curious to know why vodka seems to be the drink of choice for alcoholics...?
I asked hubby about that last night. He said because it's cheap and mixes with other things well.

So I asked *why* he drank several of my expensive bottles of Grand Marnier, including the one he got me for my birthday. His response, "It was there, and you hadn't drank it."
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Alcoholics delude themselves in many ways like swearing off hard alcohol for wine or pills. This is simply another delusion but it's still addiction.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
NorCaliGirl

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
One of the main reasons vodka becomes the drink of choice is the myth that it is odorless.

It does have a less noticeable odor if you have only one or two standard drinks. But no alcoholic drinks that way, and vodka reeks like anything else if you drink a lot of it. And alcoholics often have that distinctive smell that comes out of their pores, as well (forget the chemical given off).

In addition, you can throw vodka into virtually anything else (lemonade, grapefruit juice, etc.) and easily conceal it.
Yes, my binge-drinking BF chooses vodka, I suspect for these reasons. At the end of his last binge a week ago (which was supposedly his LAST binge, when we finally spoke openly about the binge-drinking elephant in the room) he told me that he hadn't had anything to drink in two days. When I said "are you sure - because I can still smell it all over you" he said yes. And I just said "that shows how much you've drank over these past three days, since your body is still metabolizing it."

He actually was still drinking fairly expensive vodka though - I guess he hadn't progressed to cheap vodka yet although I'm sure it was coming since he is broke!) He liked to drink it on the rocks, not mixed with anything - and I think he thought he was fooling me because it looked the same as a glass of ice water (which he always made a point of announcing he was getting.)