I realized today

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mry

I realized today

a part of the two-step I have with my AH. We have been living apart for 4 months and have 4 kids. He is sober but not recovering. Last week, for the first time in years, he was genuinely kind to us. I was so hopeful. This weekend, he is giving me the silent treatment because I went to visit his aunt in the hospital but did not stop by to see him when he had the sniffles. (I also had 3 sick kids at home.)

Today, I realized that I'm fighting the urge to send a friendly text. Why would I respond to the silent treatment with chasing? Because I am afraid to make him mad at me. He controls our finances and so I dance. I may be biting my nails for the rest of the day, but I am sitting this one out.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong! And keep coming here for support!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well played - the two step can't continue on with one partner stepping out of the dance.

And remember, you don't "make him mad". He chooses to get mad. Don't own his emotions, especially this early in sobriety (or white knuckling it, as you describe). His emotions are going to be all over the map, so stand back a little and simply watch his actions, rather than react right along with him.

Stay strong!
~T
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
And remember, you don't "make him mad". He chooses to get mad.
~T

Well said!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mry View Post
I may be biting my nails for the rest of the day, but I am sitting this one out.
Sounds like a GREAT decision, good for you!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How's the job search coming along?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

AWESOME!!

It is SOOOO hard not to placate others. I have tendency to do that anytime I think someone is upset with me.

Another thing I've discovered, too, is that SOMETIMES what feels like a reaction to me or something I did, has nothing at ALL to do with me. How weird would it be to go trying to make nice to someone for something that was COMPLETELY in my own head? But I've done it.

Good for you--nobody said this is easy. It DOES get easier with practice. Proud of ya!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mry

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Well played - the two step can't continue on with one partner stepping out of the dance.

And remember, you don't "make him mad". He chooses to get mad. Don't own his emotions, especially this early in sobriety (or white knuckling it, as you describe). His emotions are going to be all over the map, so stand back a little and simply watch his actions, rather than react right along with him.

Stay strong!
~T
I know that this is true. I hadn't realized how much I lived my life around his emotions. He came by yesterday to see the kids. He has made some changes and no longer blames me for his drinking. He is very codependent and in the past I would (in my codependence!) try to get him to see the inappropriateness of his actions with his family. I must be making progress because I accept that that is his journey and not mine. I am seeing a new therapist this week - the other one was not able to do marriage counseling and I think if we have any chance at all, we will need MC.

PohsFriend, my CV is ready and I'm submitting it to online schools. I'm going to go through their online training and plan to teach a course in the fall. Sometimes I feel that I'm moving through molasses and sometimes I cannot believe all of the changes I have made in the 3 months we have been separated. I teach my kids at home and it's the last and hardest dream of mine to give up. There were so many things I wanted for my life and I feel that almost every one was yanked away.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mry View Post
There were so many things I wanted for my life and I feel that almost every one was yanked away.
In time, we begin to rebuild a new life - one that becomes everything we wanted, only in a different way than before. Good times replace the bad memories. New people come into our lives that we enjoy and treasure. New places to live become home. It just takes time. Hang in there, it will get better. Sounds as if it already has, even just a little bit!