Hiding rehab

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Hiding rehab

Hello new friends!

We intervened on a friend yesterday for his drinking and he agreed to go to rehab (HUGE success!). He is well known around town and is embarrassed of his problem and does not want people knowing about his 30 day "vacation". He has asked me to cancel some meetings and engagements for him but wants me to tell the people he is extremely sick or he has left town. Now, I have access to his facebook page but I do not have access to his phone or email. If these people get suspicious that this random person is cancelling engagements, the first thing they will do is call or text him.

How do I address this with these people? Any advice? This is my first "cover up."

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I would just say that he had some urgent personal business to attend to, and that you are not at liberty to discuss it. That could cover anything from a dying parent to a sick parakeet.

If he wants you to tell people he is very sick, you can do that. He is. If the rehab is out of town, you can say he left town. He did. If they ask further questions, just tell them that you don't know all of the details (you don't), but you will pass along any messages. Then let him decide what he wants to tell people when he gets back.

Does that make sense? It really isn't anyone else's business. You shouldn't lie for him, but you don't need to give any information other than the fact that he is temporarily unavailable.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm assuming he can't get his text or phone messages? When my ABF went into treatment, I got a few calls from clients. I just told them that he had some personal issues to take care of, was taking time off and would not be available. No more than that.

That was the truth. So I got the message across without being complicit in lying. Hope that helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It really isn't anyone else's business. You shouldn't lie for him, but you don't need to give any information other than the fact that he is temporarily unavailable.
Yep! Some of the best advice I ever got was, "You don't have to tell everyone everything."
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I always loved the

I'm not at liberty to discuss any details and i'm sure _______ will share what's going on with him when he is able to, but thanks for your concern."

prayers for the best for your friend
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey - you already got the answer but ...

HOOOOORAY! Someone you care about is agreeing to get help and try to get well!

CONGRATULATIONS AND PRAYERS FOR HIM!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
Hey - you already got the answer but ...

HOOOOORAY! Someone you care about is agreeing to get help and try to get well!

CONGRATULATIONS AND PRAYERS FOR HIM!
REALLY! Some people get so hung up on "what to tell people" that they never MOVE. Good for him.

I've never once heard of anyone for whom those dire worries about what people would think ever came to pass.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How do I address this with these people? Any advice? This is my first "cover up."
It's HIS problem, not yours. I suggest keeping out of it entirely.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
It's HIS problem, not yours. I suggest keeping out of it entirely.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with helping a friend with stuff like canceling appointments in an emergency. He's getting help, not running from the law. Suppose a friend needed someone to care for his or her pets while in rehab. You mean to say you shouldn't help them with that because it's "their problem"?

Stuff like standing engagements or appointments often keep people from getting the help they need. I think friends SHOULD help with those kinds of things. What you need to stay out of are the "bailing them out of trouble" kind of things.