He's a burden, but he's our burden ....

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's a burden, but he's our burden ....

... not society's.

Sometimes I have this thought- he's my child/adult son. Is it fair to burden society if he steals or breaks other laws because we make him homeless? Should taxpayers have to pay for his care because we feel we've done all we can do? Or, should we take care of our troubled son forever-- if he doesn't ever get it together and take care of himself?

I imagine the other side is *he* is responsible for himself. I'm just wondering if families should share more of the burden rather than society? It doesn't seem fair to make others take on our responsibility. And, yes, even though he is an adult- I feel responsible for not getting him to the point of being a functioning member of society.

Just thinking out loud. I'm sure some of you will find some holes in my logic. I'm not even sure how I feel about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old is he???

Society will catch up with him, you are allowing him to suffer the consequences of his actions.

That is how we learn.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Under the age of 18 he is your responsibility. After that he is legally no longer your responsibility so no, its not your burden.

I don't agree that childbirth and rearing should be punitive if it doesn't go smoothly after they are 18 - I wish our governments were better at helping children in poor living situations but I guess its not possible given the size of our population.

There are many sides to this argument and I get where you are coming from.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's interesting that it is either the family or the government that has to be responsible - not the person themselves - they get a pass. I know this is just the "way it is," but it is not fair that someone else HAS to pick up the pieces because the person has abdicated their responsibilities.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by seek View Post
It's interesting that it is either the family or the government that has to be responsible - not the person themselves - they get a pass. I know this is just the "way it is," but it is not fair that someone else HAS to pick up the pieces because the person has abdicated their responsibilities.
I agree with this. Once the person is an adult, they are responsible for their own actions. It isn't society's responsibility and it isn't the responsibility of the parents. They always have the option of getting into recovery and straightening out their lives. That way, they won't be a burden to anyone.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It must be horribly demoralizing to be characterized as a *burden* rather than a capable, independent adult.

L
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
How old is he???

Society will catch up with him, you are allowing him to suffer the consequences of his actions.

That is how we learn.
He's 22 .... so, legally I am not responsible for him. But, somehow I feel like he is still my responsibility until he is "functioning" and responsible for himself.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
I see what you are saying about a pass. But, let's say they are flawed human beings. Do we morally have a responsibility not to burden society further?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
It must be horribly demoralizing to be characterized as a *burden* rather than a capable, independent adult.

L
Point taken. Do you think every human being is capable of being an independent adult? Or, are some adults incapable due to mental illness or other issues?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, problem kids happen to good parents. None of us is perfect, but unless you were abusive or indulged his every whim at all times, chances are nothing you did "made" him the way he is. I always feel bad for the parents of those mass murderers when the headlines hit and people are looking for someone to blame.

There are societies where the family takes care of everyone from cradle to grave. I don't know that it is necessarily "better"--there is a lot of suffering that goes along with that kind of enforced obligation--those same societies often insist that women stay with their abusive husbands, punish them for being raped, etc.

Anyway, it is not how things work in our society, which is where we live.

At some point, unless someone is developmentally disabled or suffers from a serious mental illness or brain injury, a person is responsible for his/her own actions. Sometimes people suffer as a result of those actions--loved ones, others they may victimize, or society in general. The laws are intended to allocate responsibility and punishment or rehabilitation in an equitable way. It doesn't always achieve that, obviously, but the effort is directed to the individual responsible, not the parents or family.

Very hard to let go, though, of someone you've nurtured for so many years. If it's any comfort I've heard many alcoholics and addicts say that it was only when they were forced to be responsible for themselves and their actions that any change finally happened.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think it's my job to decide who is "flawed" and who is not. What I do know is that the more I treated my AH as incompetent and irresponsible, the more incompetent and irresponsible he became.

L
Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Yeah, problem kids happen to good parents. None of us is perfect, but unless you were abusive or indulged his every whim at all times, chances are nothing you did "made" him the way he is. I always feel bad for the parents of those mass murderers when the headlines hit and people are looking for someone to blame.

There are societies where the family takes care of everyone from cradle to grave. I don't know that it is necessarily "better"--there is a lot of suffering that goes along with that kind of enforced obligation--those same societies often insist that women stay with their abusive husbands, punish them for being raped, etc.

Anyway, it is not how things work in our society, which is where we live.

At some point, unless someone is developmentally disabled or suffers from a serious mental illness or brain injury, a person is responsible for his/her own actions. Sometimes people suffer as a result of those actions--loved ones, others they may victimize, or society in general. The laws are intended to allocate responsibility and punishment or rehabilitation in an equitable way. It doesn't always achieve that, obviously, but the effort is directed to the individual responsible, not the parents or family.

Very hard to let go, though, of someone you've nurtured for so many years. If it's any comfort I've heard many alcoholics and addicts say that it was only when they were forced to be responsible for themselves and their actions that any change finally happened.
Very interesting. Obviously, I'm struggling with, is my AS's problem only addiction or is there something else going on that would make it immoral to not help him or require society to do so?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I don't think it's my job to decide who is "flawed" and who is not. What I do know is that the more I treated my AH as incompetent and irresponsible, the more incompetent and irresponsible he became.

L
Maybe flawed wasn't the correct choice of words. I mean more like mentally ill or mentally incompetent. I think also as his mom (versus spouse) I still feel like its my job.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulmomtoD View Post
I see what you are saying about a pass. But, let's say they are flawed human beings. Do we morally have a responsibility not to burden society further?
Flawed how honey???
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
Flawed how honey???
Not the best choice of words. Not "flawed", but mentally ill or incompetent is more what I was thinking. Incapable somehow.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Hopeful!

When his mother was pregnant with my stepson, she drank. He may register on the spectrum of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. He has also stated to us that he hears voices in his head, but has not been diagnosed with FAS or schizophrenia by any of the professionals he has seen in hospitals or rehab.

What my stepson has suffered from is the immaturity, moodiness, extraordinary low self esteem, twisted thought processes, and absence of motivation present in an active addict/alcoholic who was enabled most of his life by his guilt-ridden parents.

My stepson is living in an SLE for men in another state and is looking for work. If my stepson can make these changes and begin to take steps to turn his life around, I'm pretty confident that your son can, too.

I hope that you will soon be able to find the answers you seek.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Even people with mental illness can recover--I know several sober alcoholics with diagnoses including learning disorders, OCD, major depression, Bipolar disorder, and even schizophrenia.

I'm in AA, and in "How It Works" (a chapter in the Big Book) it says, "There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest." I've seen it work for those people.

Incidentally, I am not suggesting that you simply kick a 22-y/o to the curb and demand that he fend for himself. I AM suggesting that rather than your assuming responsibility for him and cleaning up his messes, you agree to support his OWN efforts to achieve sobriety. Sometimes that means helping, as long as he isn't "gaming" you or the system.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hydrogirl .. thanks for the ESH.

Lexie- I think I am doing what you suggest; you say it much better than me.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, sometimes the tough part is figuring out when we are being manipulated. Just remember, addicts HAVE to manipulate--it's how the disease survives. If no one could be manipulated then most addicts would hit bottom a lot sooner. You simply take away the props that are supporting the disease.

I tend to think that most alcoholics/addicts, when cornered, default to manipulation. I assume it is manipulation until convinced otherwise. That doesn't mean we have to lose hope or tear down the alcoholic/addict who is desperately promising whatever. It simply means that we remain cordially skeptical and reserve judgment until we see some evidence that this isn't just another round.

The burden of proof is on the alcoholic/addict to show that he or she is making a sincere effort. Then we can support that effort. It also isn't unusual for them to become very touchy if we don't give them whatever they want even when they ARE making the effort. They may accuse us of not being supportive. But the fact is, the lion's share of the work is on them. Sometimes we can help with difficult obstacles they face, but not every problem is one we need to step in and solve.

It's especially tough with young adults, I think, because some of the bad judgment and poor decisions are just attributable to their age and lack of experience. But I think it's especially important, when they are alcoholics or addicts, to really let them feel the consequences of their decisions. Someone not in the grip of addiction might learn from an explanation and a warning. Addicts tend to be hard-headed and determined to do things their own way unless they experience for themselves how it turns out.

Like navigating a minefield, huh?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You might want to read this book..it is a free read on the internet by Arlene Harder

“Letting Go of Our Adult Children, When What We Do is Never Enough"

Also, cynical one has several blogs about parents letting go of their adult children, just click on blogs at the top of this page and insert cynical one
in the name search box. Lots of helpful information at your fingertips.

Sending support your way!