SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Well, THAT was a short retirement... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/280850-well-short-retirement.html)

LexieCat 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

Well, THAT was a short retirement...

Hey, guys,

Sorry to have been away so long. Retirement lasted about five minutes. (Well, four months, to be exact.)

If anyone remembers, I had applied for another "dream job" after I interviewed for one such position that I didn't get. Well, guess what? I GOT the second "dream job"--and it's WAY better than the first one I applied for!

I am working for a nonprofit doing research, case consultation, writing, and training prosecutors, others in law enforcement, and allied professionals handling crimes of violence against women. I get to travel around the country giving presentations (and there will even be a little international travel). And, just for the icing on the cake, the job pays almost what I was making before I retired (that's on top of the pension), AND I get to work from home (no move to D.C.) when I'm not traveling. I still can't believe my good fortune. I've been there since early April, and the time has flown. I am paying down my debt and still trying to get my foundation problem with my house fixed.

I'm actually working more hours than I did for my first job--mainly because there are so few distractions. I sort of miss the camaraderie of going into an office, but when the weather is lousy or traffic is bad it is very nice to have a commute that involves going upstairs (in my slippers).

In April, I am going to be a presenter at a conference in Dallas, where one of the other presenters is Lundy Bancroft! Unfortunately, some of his presentations are scheduled for the same time as mine, but I should be able to make at least one or two of them.

Hoping to stick around here for a while. I'll have to catch up with what's going on with everybody. Just wanted to say hi before I start sneaking into the threads. :)

Dee74 01-13-2013 08:15 PM

welcome back Lexie - congrats on the new job :)

D

LexieCat 01-13-2013 08:22 PM

Thanks, Dee,

Hey, I may even get out your way one of these days. My boss and one of my colleagues went to Fiji this past summer--we are involved in what amounts to sort of an exchange program with lawyers in the South Pacific. We had people visiting here from Fiji, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, and, hm, one other place that is escaping me at the moment.

Good to see ya!

Seren 01-14-2013 02:57 AM

Great news!! The job sounds like it's fantastic....maybe you can occasionally commute to the local coffee shop to work?

Change4good 01-14-2013 03:24 AM

This update just sounds wonderful! Don't you love it when you find something that is personally enriching and rewarding, and someone PAYS you to do it? Also sounds as if you are doing great work on behalf of others.

It was a joy to read your update this morning.

Fandy 01-14-2013 03:30 AM

Welcome back! I've missed you and figured you were off relaxing!

ReflectingOnMe 01-14-2013 03:41 AM

Exciting! Congratulations; nothing beats a job you love.

m1k3 01-14-2013 06:32 AM

Welcome back Lexie! Great to hear from you again and congrats on the new job.

Your friend,

Mike

Tuffgirl 01-14-2013 06:50 AM

Lexie! Nice to hear form you again, you've been missed! Congrats on the job, sounds lovely!
~T

redatlanta 01-14-2013 07:36 AM

What great news!! So happy for you!

StarCat 01-14-2013 07:47 AM

How exciting! I am so excited for you!

marie1960 01-14-2013 04:31 PM

Great to hear from you. So nice to hear your good news!!!

PohsFriend 01-14-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 3770110)
Thanks, Dee,

Hey, I may even get out your way one of these days. My boss and one of my colleagues went to Fiji this past summer--we are involved in what amounts to sort of an exchange program with lawyers in the South Pacific. We had people visiting here from Fiji, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, and, hm, one other place that is escaping me at the moment.

Good to see ya!

Omg - which lawyer negotiated a deal that suckered people from Fiji to swap digs with people from Jersey? I want that SOB on retainer in case my daughters BF ever forgets that Daddy don't play. ..that sounds so much like the crap I do at work.

LexieCat 01-14-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PohsFriend (Post 3771890)
Omg - which lawyer negotiated a deal that suckered people from Fiji to swap digs with people from Jersey? I want that SOB on retainer in case my daughters BF ever forgets that Daddy don't play. ..that sounds so much like the crap I do at work.

LOL, they were staying in D.C., not here. International diplomacy can only accomplish so much.

Sorry to disillusion you.

Jazzman 01-15-2013 04:37 PM

Two things. Good to see you back, and DO NOT turn down a trip to the south pacific!

LexieCat 01-15-2013 05:59 PM

Good to be seen, Jazz, and good to see YOU, too! Don't worry, I'm not planning on turning down any trips to the South Pacific. Heck, I didn't turn down the trip to Sandusky, Ohio, this summer, and I'm not even a roller coaster fan. But the South Pacific sounds much more attractive than Sandusky.

m1k3 01-15-2013 07:27 PM

The only places I been to in the pacific was Japan and Okinawa when I was in the Marines. Of course I was on Marine Bases both times and I would never call a Marine base a fun place to visit. :)

Your friend,

sparkerly 01-15-2013 08:52 PM

Congratulations! I'm glad everything is working wonderfully for you!

Mango212 08-06-2019 08:01 AM

In thinking of LexieCat, this thread is a great model for me in believing in good things happening, and enjoying those things. :)

hopeful4 08-06-2019 08:35 AM

I miss Lexie so much!