SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   An Idea i just had to help me cope with my bad days (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/280425-idea-i-just-had-help-me-cope-my-bad-days.html)

Sharkbait 01-10-2013 04:29 AM

An Idea i just had to help me cope with my bad days

Hi again everyone :)

I'm still going strong altho some days stronger then others. its been now a month in my new house and loving it.

after a few weeks of nothing from AXW I got a TXT out of the blue from her tonight. "I'm not giving up on you. You are my husband. I'm giving you time and space because it seems to be what you need but I'm not letting go. I Love you."

and ever as i type this i get another txt. YAY lol.

So i got my sister to tell me three bad things about her just to stop my mind going to where i knew it would be going.. the whole "maybe things will be different this time"

but it also got me thinking about my own coping idea.

and I think what I'm going to do is get myself a jar and label it "Clint's Jar of Happyness" when ever i have a good day that I am happy and looking forward to the future. I might put something into it. a small chocolate or something like that. So I can see my jar filling to remind me how happy I am.

then when im feeling a bit down and mourning what was or could have been etc etc. i can take a choccy from from my jar of happyness, because im not happy at that time. and I can see my happyness go down, and i can remind myself why I dont need her in my life.

Sharkbait 01-10-2013 04:47 AM

or even fill the jar with scraps of paper with reasons why I'm happy. then i can read them when I'm feeling down or weak.

jodane 01-10-2013 06:33 AM

good idea thank you, I like it im going to get a happy jar to:tyou

Impurrfect 01-10-2013 06:36 AM

That's a GREAT idea! I do believe that visual things really do help. It's hard to always trust our emotions and feelings as they send to change, even though our gut is pretty much spot on. Actually seeing your "happiness jar" get full, I think, will "click" in your brain a lot faster.

I may have to start one of my own:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

FireSprite 01-10-2013 07:41 AM

I LOVE this idea! I'm working through issues with food right now (it's my security blanket) so I'd be better off skipping the chocolate but the little love notes to myself is perfect. It can also be a great tool to use when I'm fighting those food urges & need a distraction. I better come up with a LOT of things to write down, lol!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

ReflectingOnMe 01-10-2013 07:44 AM

Great Idea! I know I have so very many things to be happy for...but that cloud of A just lingers..thanks for sharing!

ZiggyB 01-10-2013 09:30 AM

can you block the texts?

I admit I was sucked back into my relationship with axbf many times by believing this kind of dumb romantic cr*p. I kinda believe they fall back onto the "I will always love you" type of nonsense when they are just grasping at straws.

seek 01-10-2013 09:42 AM

I saw something similar on Pinterest - I think it was a suggestion to keep a jar of good memories for a year, and then take it out on New Year's Eve and read them all.

I love your idea.

A happy jar!

celticgenes 01-10-2013 11:12 AM

Ugh, I get the over the top, romanticized texts from my AXF too. Trouble is, he "loves" me in his heart and mind, just can't seem to translate it into daily, livable action.

Hang in there! I LOVE both of your coping mechanisms-calling your sis for a reality check and storing up happiness.

Gosh, where do I find such an evolved guy??????

TakingCharge999 01-10-2013 12:32 PM

All the ones that said they would do it - its not enough with the post. We want pictures/physical proof !!

lillamy 01-10-2013 01:13 PM

That's a brilliant idea!!!!