Love Isn't Supposed to Hurt

Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love Isn't Supposed to Hurt

I wonder if anyone has read this book?

I saw a video of it a few minutes ago. Sounds like it is a classic tale of alcoholism, verbal abuse and codependency. I think I need to look into it.

Love Isn't Supposed to Hurt: Christi Paul, Sanjay Gupta: 9781414367378: Amazon.com: Books
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, Ziggy, love is not supposed to hurt. I think that this is a newer book since I went through what I went through. I have most of the others though that they show as people looking at this, also viewed these.

It takes time to get over what you went through. I read book after book after book. I needed to, perhaps you do also. I needed to know that it was not me, I needed to know that there was nothing that I could do.

I have finally put all of my books away. There wasn't anything I could do to make things better. I had to put them away because I was still in the analysis/paralysis stage. Perhaps still am.

I understand your hurt and your pain. I'm sorry that I never responded to your posts, it was just that your pain was so similar to mine.

Just know we can do this. We can get past this. It does hurt. I feel for you so much that you run into him alot, since he works across the street.

Just know that you are in my heart.

Live your life, I am trying to do the same here.

We will get there. It will happen.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for you kind words Amy.
I have also read a lot of books and I was trying to focus on other stuff for a while but this seemed pretty relevant. I have cried a lot of tears but I am getting better too!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I am bumping the thread because I finished the book.

If you are struggling with codependency and leaving a verbally abusive marriage/ relationship I would really recommend it.

Christi is very religious and talks a lot about God so if that isn't your cuppa, you might not like this one. I was inspired by her ability to forgive and move on...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going through a divorce - AH was verbally and psychologically abusive. This book is on my list to read; I'm reading a lot about addiction but realized last week I need to focus on me and for me to heal. It's taken 10 months since my marriage was "over" and I am ready to face my pain more fully. One of my gfs is also going through a divorce and she HIGHLY recommends this book.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmk11 View Post
I'm going through a divorce - AH was verbally and psychologically abusive. This book is on my list to read; I'm reading a lot about addiction but realized last week I need to focus on me and for me to heal. It's taken 10 months since my marriage was "over" and I am ready to face my pain more fully. One of my gfs is also going through a divorce and she HIGHLY recommends this book.
I think you will like it. I also tried learning about addiction but realized I needed to shift the focus on healing my pain.

If you come across any other good ones feel free to let me know.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me learning about the addiction lets me forgive myself and opened me up for learning about my own needs and weaknesses.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read a lot too. Learning about the addiction and the behaviors helped me make my way through the horrible confusion...wondering if I immagined it; thinking if only I did or said xyz I could have fixed it....helps the self doubts and the self-blame.

Doesnt take away the grieving, though. But still, understanding helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing...