A good story for a change!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up A good story for a change!

hey All,

I just thought we could use some positive thoughts and a good story to start the year off right. My RAB (alcohol and cocaine) came out of his first time in treatment at the end of October and I've been terrified of the holidays. Like everyone else, we have the family events to go around too, and although my family has been crazy supportive of his recovery (as both my mom and my sister and I grew up in an alcoholic household) , his family has either A) buried their heads in the sand and subbornly ignore the realities of him being a RA or B) expect him to lose his mind and if there's a bottle of liqour within 60 feet to tackle small children out of his way to pour the whole thing down his throat in seconds.

So needless to say I was cautiously optimistic that he would do well this year, and we did the whole Christmas WITHOUT AN INSTANCE! Sure at one family event (his family is from England so there's always a large amount of alcohol at their events), he was feeling uncomfortable and anxious, so he RESPONSIBLY said to me "we should go I'm not liking this right now", we left and what did he do? Found a meeting that night, worked his steps and felt relieved! To top it off, he even bought me a few small christmas gifts this year (which is VERY rare since most if not all of his money went to alcohol/drugs in the past), that actually mean something to me - showing he's paid attention and is trying to work a clean life. (PLEASE DON'T MISCONSTRUE RECEIVING GIFTS ARE IMPORTANT TO ME, it's the fact that he paid attention to conversations we've had - and besides, one was a second hand jacket I fell in love with at a thrift store lol)

So yes, it's never a easy and golden path to recovery, but with a little support, belief in him and confidence, I think he and I are getting better. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! It's great to hear the good stories in all this! Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
We can recover.
xo