Happy New Year from a new member

Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy New Year from a new member

Hi all....I am the wife of an alcoholic. He drinks every day, all day. I think the definition is "functioning alcoholic" as he manages to hold a job for a couple of years before it all catches up to him.

He'll also drink to black out levels occasionally. He isn't willing to seek help but I am ready. I am looking both to feel your support as well as offer any help I can, anytime to anyone.

I downloaded this app several days ago and still have been dragging my feet to make my first post...I guess I have been dreading making it "real".

I hope I can contribute in a helpful & constructive manner. I have searched online many forums and really liked this one.

Thank you for your time. I plan on checking in frequently.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of accepting the "real" part of the disease. I finally joined this evening as well to make my first post. It changes nothing but it feels good to air it out. We are not alone not the only people dealing with this awful disease. I pray for you and your family.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fightingforus View Post
I know the feeling of accepting the "real" part of the disease. I finally joined this evening as well to make my first post. It changes nothing but it feels good to air it out. We are not alone not the only people dealing with this awful disease. I pray for you and your family.
Thank you! I love your username...it fits beautifully!

Sending thoughts & prayers your way as well. I agree; it is good to air it out! 12 years is a long time to bottle it in.

I am thinking about Al Anon meetings in person as well. I can't change him but I can change the way I react, and I want to be an example & positive influence for our son.

I believe divorce is a very real possibility after many tries, but even a change as big as that won't change my need & want to belong to a support community.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I love your avatar (picture) under your screen name! Is that your fur baby?
Precious.

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as often as needed. We are here to support you and we understand.

I found reading in Sticky Posts helpful. Some of our stories are posted in the stickies. Stickies are the older, permanent posts at the top of this main page.

I found steps to help me focus and detach from the crazy making alcoholism on one of the sticky posts of this website. Here is a link to the post with steps that really helped me:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

Keep coming back. We care!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy