Why do most people think...

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do most people think...

...that to be an alcoholic, you have to drink every day?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To be honest I actually thought that for a very very long time. I think I was in denial of hubbys drinking....and he would also tell me he didn't have a problem because he didn't drink every day like his parents did lol...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never drank every day probably 5/6 out of seven, but alcohol for 30 years always had a very detrimental effect on my life.

Only when trying to stop and suffering chronic cravings many times did I realise the extent of my problem.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's so they can kid themselves that they don't have this problem.

The everyday drinkers do the same by pointing out they don't drink in the morning.

The everyday morning drinkers are sure they don't have a problem because they still have a job.

On and on.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it was part of the denial of the addiction. I am sure it was the case for the problem drinker.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My mother drinks everyday, she is an alcoholic.
My exabf, didn't, he was a binge drinker, once he started, he couldn't stop, he was an
alcoholic.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I once had a friend who would only drink about once a year. The problem was that once he picked up a drink it would turn into a 5-10 day bender & he would end up in the hospital. You don't have to drink everyday to become physically or mentally addicted to alcohol.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I try not to assume what other people are thinking....gets me in trouble every single time.

I suppose most folks believe that whatever their personal experience is how it works for everyone else--which isn't true, but is understandable.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
I try not to assume what other people are thinking....gets me in trouble every single time.

I suppose most folks believe that whatever their personal experience is how it works for everyone else--which isn't true, but is understandable.
Well it's what I used to think, and, from what I've seen, binge drinkers aren't really acknowledged as alcoholics until they start drinking every day. Although that last part is starting to change...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was always a binge drinker. I am an alcoholic.

When I would go to AA, years ago, I worried that I wasn't bad enough yet and I would be judged. Mostly, I think it was my excuse to keep on drinking.

Today, I make a point when I share, when it's relevant, that I was a binge drinker and not a daily drinker. I know there are others out there like me and may be if I would have heard someone in an AA meeting say that I wouldn't have felt so alone.

I believe that this disease has nothing to do with what I drank or how much I drank or how often I drank .... it had to do with why I drank and the things going on in my mind. Personally, it affected me emotionally and spiritually and not so much physically.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe that this disease has nothing to do with what I drank or how much I drank or how often I drank .... it had to do with why I drank and the things going on in my mind. Personally, it affected me emotionally and spiritually and not so much physically.
Great answer. The definition of Alcoholism is as much culturally based as medical. I can remember when going out for lunch from work and having a beer or two as considered normal.

I believe there are people who are problem drinkers who are not alcoholics. To me alcoholism starts when the behavior becomes compulsive.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Your friend,
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

My mother sent me this test, once. She found it her dental magazine, of all places. I think it's a good test.
Please note it avoids the term/label "alcoholic" and merely focuses on the aspect of drinking negatively impacting one's health. In addition, the way the quiz is written, it will catch both the daily alcoholics and the occasional binge drinker.

Please excuse the bad formatting. I fixed it up as best I could.
I like this quiz, though - and it shows that some people are realizing that binge drinkers also have a problem with alcohol (and hopefully helps others realize it, too).

Q1: How often did you have a drink containing alcohol in the past year?

Answer - Points
Never - 0
Monthly or less - 1
Two to four times a month - 2
Two to three times a week - 3
Four or more times a week - 4

Q2: How many drinks did you have on a typical day when you were drinking in the past year?

Answer - Points
None, I do not drink - 0
1 or 2 - 0
3 or 4 - 1
5 or 6 - 2
7 to 9 - 3
10 or more - 4

Q3: How often did you have six or more drinks on one occasion in the past year?

Answer - Points
Never - 0
Less than monthly - 1
Monthly - 2
Weekly - 3
Daily or almost daily - 4

The AUDIT-C is scored on a scale of 0-12 (scores of 0 reflect no alcohol use). In men, a score of 4 or more is considered positive; in women, a score of 3 or more is considered positive. Generally, the higher the AUDIT-C score, the more likely it is that the patient's drinking is affecting his/her health and safety.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
...that to be an alcoholic, you have to drink every day?
I think it's just more obvious & easy to point the finger toward alcoholism when someone is a daily drinker. I also think people in general don't understand the term 'binge drinker' to mean anything more than someone who over-drinks on occasion. It's also easier to make excuses for binge-ers, in my opinion. If it's a holiday, the person is going through a particularly stressful time, etc., then it becomes easier to 'explain' away their overindulgences.

A good friend of mine is/was a terrible binge drinker, & got to the point of blacking out every single time she drank because she had no boundaries once the first drink crossed her lips. She has finally slowed down, but I'm not sure she ever understood just how dangerous her drinking had become. If she wasn't more concerned about her AH's drinking habits, I think she'd still be on that path. I worry that someday it will all come crashing back down on her because she never really understood the implications to begin with.