Help

Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hello everyone, this is very new to me but, i need help! I am the spouse of a recovering alcoholic. Needless to say this has been a very challenging stage of our relationship. I'm to the point where I just want to throw my hands up and walk out. He is more selfish sober than he was drunk and of course I'm the cause of every problem he has ever had in his life. He loose his job, it's my fault! He's recovering, it's my fault he drank in the first place! Help...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i feel terrible. ive been with mygirlfriend for 6 years and ive been the one getting high and makeing ourlives a living hell.. nobody is perfect but i always made things worse when i was high and when i started to get sober it was the same way.. i dont like to speak too much on other relationships but in your heart u know if he is good or not its the hardest thing in life to face the truth but go with your gut .. if your gut tells u to be patient then do it .. if not then it needs to end for the benifit of both.. everything happens for a reason sometimes its hard to find that reason and it takes a while but it will show up later on in life its a gurentee as long as you are paying attention. you are going threw this because you need to grow more as a person and you will just be patient and really talk to him the more patience u show him even when it seems impossible the more u will be able to tell if u guys are meant for eachother. sometimes it takes that degree of mental discipline to find the important answers in life
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello noclue, Welcome to SR!

I'm so sorry for what you have been going through. You are not crazy, believe me.

Yes, active alcoholism and early recovery are very selfish times. You have every right to feel as though you do not want to go through any of this anymore because there are no guarantees that he will continue to stay sober. The decision about how you want to proceed and what is best for you are entirely within your power.

I hope you will stick around and read all the threads you can. Especially the 'stickies' at the top of the forum page--they contain great information!

We are open 24/7 anytime you need to ask a question or simply vent. I'm so very sorry for the reason, but I am glad you found us.

HG