Relapse Looks Different After AlAnon

Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Looks Different After AlAnon

My AH made it a few months - I don't know how many. Life was grand. This relapse of his did not trigger anger in me - it triggered sadness and a fear that I would relapse myself - back to my old ways before AlAnon taught me a better way. But since AlAnon I have such a great set of tools that I am handling it all very differently - I am sad for him but newly/freshly resolved to be strong and healthy for myself and my son. I give my AH credit for the months he got to enjoy. The months he will lose are of no concern to me now.
I won't lose the happiness in store for me worrying about what's before him with his drinking (and what is certain to follow)- he'll do what he does and I will do what I have learned from AlAnon. Thank goodness and God for this forum - I feel like posting this is calling an old friend...and I always want to say "hey Anvilhead - I get it now!" thanks for listening - I Am, I Can and I WILL!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I needed to read this, thank you. My ABF will be coming home in the next few weeks from treatment, and I have to admit I worry about relapse. I am going to AlAnon, and feel very differently about things since finding my group. I pray "if" it happens that I will have your strength and conviction to stay centered.
Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. My own husband is almost 5 months sober now and we are enjoying it. From time to time I have wondered if he relapses, would I revert to my old behaviours? I've been in Al-Anon for about 7 months and have learned and changed so much! I don't want to ever lose it.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's amazing what a big difference a little bit of recovery makes It's like a lightbulb goes off in our head. YAY for you on taking care of YOU!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are right about AlAnon. My husband had a relapse after almost a year of sobriety. It was AlAnon that taught me to think of my needs first so I gave him a choice and he went back to detox for a week and got back on track (4 months again). He knows now that all the choices are his.