Detox after 2 weeks of drinking?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox after 2 weeks of drinking?

I am curious about when detox is needed. The background is my BIL has started drinking again and is now wanting to go to detox. This is easily his 15th or so detox in the last three years or so. The only difference is in the past it was always at the end of a major drinking binge. Supposedly he has only been drinking for 2 weeks after saying he has been sober for 6 months. Never was in an active recovery program, so I have my doubts that he ever really quit. Of course none of the details really matter. Just curious if after drinking for 2 weeks (half a bottle of whiskey a day) if detox would be needed or is it because he has been drinking much longer than that. I am really pretty removed from the situation, but cringe when my wife's family buys into his standard bs lines. Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Detox can be dangerous. It is best handled with professional support.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello flycoonboy, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by flycoonboy View Post
I am curious about when detox is needed. ....
Detox is _always_ needed. The reason being that booze, and other depressant type medications, cause blood pressure to go _way_ up when stopped too quickly. Only a doctor who specializes in addiction treatment can evaluate a person, keep track of the blood pressure, and decide which type of detox is safe.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flycoonboy View Post
I am really pretty removed from the situation, but cringe when my wife's family buys into his standard bs lines. Thanks for any insight.
Why to you cringe? Is he not paying for the detox?

A Dr., preferably someone who specializes in alcoholism or addiction, is the best person to determine his detox needs.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter if he's only been drinking for "only" 2 weeks this time. If they start drinking, they pick right up from where they'd have been if they were drinking all along. It's a quick dangerous slope, and weaning off the drug is dangerous if not monitored. He runs the risk of stroke, or heart attack due to dangerously high blood pressure and heart rates. He goes from a brain that's been totally sedated to one that is suddenly firing on all cylinders.
It's an ongoing battle. If he is wise enough right now to admit he needs detox....he needs detox. Your'e right, for now the details don't matter. When he is safely through detox, real treatment and recovery can be discussed.