Sister of a functioning alcoholic

Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by Ordinaryworld View Post
I am so sorry I used a term that not many people like. I used it because it's one I am familiar with and she is working, therefore functioning so I assumed it was the correct term. I'm new to this although my sister is not anywhere near new to her problem. Being that we live in different states, I guess it's taken me a longer time to get fed up.
Thanks for everyone's responses and I look forward to reading and learning a lot here.
No biggie. Its a correct term we just have our bites about it being that functioning is such a strong word to use for an addict. Not very orthodox.
I hope you fimd your answers and get peace and yes you will learn alot here. It helps
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am so sorry I used a term that not many people like. I used it because it's one I am familiar with and she is working, therefore functioning so I assumed it was the correct term.
No worries! People without much previous exposure tend to see alcoholism as an "in the gutter" thing. It's difficult to imagine that someone can be an alcoholic and yet function in other basic ways.

Like others have said, there's usually a lot of dysfunction behind the curtain and the facade can only be maintained for so long. We tend to view alcoholism as a progressive disease -- some people even refer to "stages of alcoholism" -- so when we talk about "functioning" alcoholics, it usually means they haven't lost everything. Yet.

The other reason we push back on the term is because as friends and family members, we have a hard time seeing the truth about our loved ones, and minimize and downplay the effects of their drinking. A lot of us find that when we stop cutting them so much slack, the truth reveals itself and we are much better emotionally prepared to deal with the disease as it is.