SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Does "it get better"? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/278015-does-get-better.html)

SparkleKitty 12-20-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by h00ped (Post 3725269)
OK so now I have a question - what do you think about the show Intervention. Is it codependent behavior for them to say if you don't get help today we will never talk to you again? Sounds like controlling attempt to motivate someone to finally do something.

I have watched a LOT of Intervention. The main thing to consider is that it's primary objective -- like any other television show, for better or for worse -- is to attract viewers and make money through it's advertisers. As much as I enjoy watching it (hm..."enjoy" is a weird word to use there), I think there are many different and better ways to gain an understanding of addiction.

But to your point, "sounds like a controlling attempt" -- I suppose that is a valid perspective, but I don't think it's an entirely fair one. In the best light, the interventionists are encouraging the family and friends of the addict to lay down boundaries and to enforce them in an effort to assist the addict in reaching their rock bottom. Take away their money, their haven, their source of emotional support -- in essence, give the problem back to the addict. I don't find this controlling. I think it is people taking care of themselves and allowing the addict the dignity of taking responsibility for their own lives.

What is more troubling to me, on the show specifically, is when the family and friends appear incapable of enforcing the boundaries and end up letting the addict off the hook for the consequences of their behavior. The show paints pretty stark portraits of the addicts but also of those who support the addict's lifestyle. I usually find those friends and family MORE controlling because what they are doing is helping the addict perpetuate the cycle of abuse and maintain the status quo. For whatever reason, they are more comfortable with the addict in that state.

Hm. Did I mention I watch a LOT of Intervention? Anyhoo. That's my take on it.

PohsFriend 12-20-2012 01:58 PM

Hey hooped..

So now it is day 5.

How ya doin compared to day 3? Better? Worse?

Hang in there

h00ped 12-20-2012 02:07 PM

Hey Poh,

Day 5 - luckily I am never at a loss for things to occupy my time (2 home based jobs and a lot of great online content to watch/read including supportive stuff like here).

I guess the good thing is I'm not thinking about this 24/7 and I am really enjoying what I'm doing during the day. I'm obsessed with information, though, so the thought will pop in my head and I'll just drop everything and come on the forum and try to educate myself more on what's the best thing to do with the circumstances (the best ways to feel or process feelings and thoughts, and arming myself with strategies for the right actions when the contact may or may not be made after the 7 days are over). The support of you guys is HUGE.

ZiggyB 12-20-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by h00ped (Post 3727162)

We were emotionally close enough for him to open up about certain things and emotions he has, we spent a lot of time in tears and praying through some of these very issues. I believe I've seen both the true heart of his soul, the person underneath, and the monster that emerges when alcohol takes hold of thinking and exacerbates the guilt and shame, intensifying the feelings and creating a mental and emotional state where facing these feelings becomes too unbearable, and the withdrawal into alcohol is not just debauchery, but the way he chooses to make the thoughts/voices stop.

So the way I'm feeling, and why I'm so concerned with what he's feeling, is I am grieving that this little boy is hurt, and the alcohol that promises to protect him from the cruel world is actually destroying everything around him. I know people are supposed to be in control of their choices, but I can't help but think when I take this stand, the little child inside him receives it as "you're bad - see everyone leaves you, because they can't stand you and you never do anything right."

I don't think he's even emotionally capable of understanding why I'm doing this, it gets received as "you're bad and nobody will ever love you." The alcohol certainly has a way of twisting communication as well.

I certainly understand the way you feel. Lots of people drink to self medicate and it sounds like what he needs is a good psychotherapist. Unfortunately, feel sorry for him though you may, he needs to make these decisions for himself. My axbf drank his way through pretty much every problem he had and I was always trying to get him to seek help, go to anger management or do something positive to manage his feelings. That never happened, he drank a lot and would pick fights with me, become critical and verbally abuse and pick on me for not being perfect.

You can and will feel sorry for them, but if this is not the kind of relationship you want for yourself, you need to be willing to walk away. :((

PohsFriend 12-20-2012 05:16 PM

Lol. Obsess? Thank goodness you joined the forum h00ped, I don't think we've seen anyone around here do that (cough)

Funny conversation between me and my therapist a while back:

I asked him if he saw any serious issues with me - I worry about that given my moms encyclopedia of personality disorders.

Him - I think you are completely exhausted between this, work and being in pain for a year. You are probably a bit OCD and a little depressed right now but otherwise you are doing fine.

Me: CDO

Him: huh?

Me: we'll if I'm going to be obsessive compulsive then I really ought to alphabetize it properly.

Him: laugh

Me: so I see the obsessing part (aside, how many readers are nodding and saying 'no ****!' ?). But actually I wish I had the compulsive deal - how cool would it be to have everything perfectly organized.

Him: laugh... Yeah but what I'd your compulsion was drinking?

Me: ****.

I get what you are saying, even I'd I can't cure/control/cause I still gotta understand it before I can accept it and get past it.

Hang in there, hope day 6 is easier.

mmk11 12-20-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by h00ped (Post 3725226)
So this is the first time I've laid down a boundary of no contact for 7 days in an attempt to show XABF (who was in recovery this time last year but has sadly returned to the bottle 6 months ago and is clearly on a downhill slide) that if he doesn't recommit to treatment, he will lose my involvement in his life (support, shoulder to lean on, etc).

Today is day 3, and I'm working through my own thoughts and feelings, but I can't help but have a broken heart continuously for the loneliness, fear, anxiety and sense of guilt and worthlessness he's feeling now.

Do you have a broken heart for YOU - for your loneliness, fear, anxiety? How do you know what he's feeling. Losing a relationship is never easy, especially with an alcoholic because they are master manipulators to have us focusing on their feelings, rather than our own.

I know for me, I got lost in my STBXAH and everything that he was going through. My feelings were barely acknowledged or addressed, it was all about him. He was a soul sucking vampire, he took and took from me and never gave anything back to the relationship.

It's a wonder I felt less lonely once we separated then when we were living in the same house. I look back now and think that even on our best days, I was still lonely.

I hope you continue to work through your thoughts and feelings about what you are going through.