OT Put a boundary at work today

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Arrow OT Put a boundary at work today

Yesterday the cubicle neighbors played some metal music for 20 minutes. No one said anything. I got annoyed but said nothing.

Today they start playing music again... its 12 pm here and I am trying to concentrate and do my job well. People ignore the elephant in the room. We are in a technical area...

I went to this man's place and asked "are you the one with the music? can you turn it off or put on earplugs?". He just stared at me. I guess he was not expecting someone to speak up. I had to repeat my question. He continued staring and said "OK" and muttered "but be kinder".

"Be kinder" I have been "kind" (read: A DOORMAT) 30 years. I did not respond to that.

I was thinking a man can ask things directly without being judged as "unkind" but a woman has to accept whatever and shut up, and if she talks in an unapologetic manner, she is a b****. Yes, this is the culture we have here and its embarrassing. As if he was a teenager. Its a disgrace someone his age does not get he is at work and not at a Starbucks.

Anyway I am no longer hearing music and am glad I spoke up.
A small step for a normie but a huge step towards healing from a boundary-less life.

Last edited by TakingCharge999; 12-12-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Edited to avoid generalizations / corrected spelling
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish we had a smilie that rolls its eyes!

Be kinder. Whatever! I think I would have said something like "Dude, are you DEAF? Because I am not, and your music is driving me nuts. Put in ear buds, like other normal people do!"
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I only found this one
Thanks for the support Tuffgirl.