Meeting a solicitor this afternoon

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meeting a solicitor this afternoon

Hi guys..

Just hoping to get some tips of questions I should ask when I meet a solicitor for advice this afternoon.

I'm based in scotland So scots law is a bit different I think, but Im sure the principle is the same the world over!

So, I'm going to explain the situation (married just over a year, husband is alcoholic, in denial, have asked him to go and live with his parents for a month, this is about 2.5 weeks in to the month of nc)

I bought my home before I was married, and it's only my name on the mortgage..

I guess while it's still very early days in separation and divorce terms, but I don't see how I can build the trust I had in him, when he is blaming me for making him drink in secret, and then moving the goal posts about things he said in past that were true/fals/what he thought I wanted to hear..

So.. I've a few hours before I'm headed to the solicitors office, any pointers of things I might miss would be so gratefully received..

Hoping to come away with a clear path as to the logistics of splitting up, if that's the path that turns out to be the right one..

So sad it's coming to this..

X
Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

ok - so I guess a "solicitor" in Scotland would be similiar to an attorney/lawyer in the US ?

In the US - the typical questions are concerning our children if that applys, health insurance, property & other assets, spousal support & yes HE can ask for support in some cases if he isn't working;

There is also the issue of restraining order if you feel threatened by his behaviors,

Sometimes these things can be fairly simple but if the other party decides to drag it out - it can be very costly & complicated -
It's a very wise move to seek advise from a professional.

Most of all, I would suggest attending some Al-Anon meetings to help you thru the emotional & mental process of it all ~ I know it helped me tremendously!

pink hugs,
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Just waking up on this side of the lake, and no advice. I do want to send support and encouragement!

Will be sending positive thoughts your way!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meeting went well, I think my home is safe, and it seems a separation agreement is the best way forward..

Exhausting

Thanks for the help and encouragings!

X