SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Husband hit by car. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/275139-husband-hit-car.html)

nahade 11-21-2012 11:05 AM

Husband hit by car.

My father-n-law called to tell me my husband had been hit by a car. My husband was with his brother-n-law and they were leaving from a family birthday party. When the Brother-n-law pull out onto the main highway my husband cooler fell off the truck. And by acction he jump out to get it and all his beer. Someone told him car coming and well he to busy picking up his beer that he was struck. Even the county news paper states exactly what he was doing. He was then life flighted out, suffering from brain trama (bleeding and bruised on brain) spent 2 nights in the icu trama unit. Based on the car noone can believe it didn't kill him. Now does it wake him up is the real question. But after his released he had to have the cooler back and you would think his family would have emptied it but no it still had the remaining and he took it home. I took him back home and left his mom with him cause he has to have someone with him for next 3 days. I just couldn't deal with him, I love him but not going to keep watching him kill hisself. Maybe it should broke him up more but at same time I'm glad he ant dead. But it just makes me angry to read the paper and to know what got him hurt. He even made this comment on way home "if I had came to see him it wouldn't happen" and I said oh no we ant going there your Dang beer got you hurt not me.... So now we see if that was his rock bottom wake up call or he just got lucky this time... What does it really take to wake them up before it's to late...:a043:

djayr 11-21-2012 11:12 AM

Wow, that is quite a story. It is a miracle he is alive. My wife fell down our basement stairs in 2008 and she had open brain surgery and almost died. That was enough to get her sober, she was in the hospital for 38 days so that helped. She was 39 years old.

Unfortunately she did fall off the wagon 2 1/2 years later and now we are getting divorced. She has been drinking for 2 years straight.

So you just never know what it's going to take, God bless and I wish you all the best.

Titanic 11-21-2012 11:27 AM

One can't even knock some sense into them.

It's too bad that you are going through this.

I hope things improve.

Peace. :)

Thumper 11-21-2012 11:52 AM

Oh my. I hope he makes a full recovery from the brain injury.

I don't know what finally wakes them up. Some people don't ever wake up.

Somtimes it helps me to turn the question around on myself. What finally woke me up? Well - it was a slow build and a rather anti-climactic end but I finally did wake up to my own life. Then I did something about it. I'm not the alcoholic either.

MsPINKAcres 11-21-2012 12:47 PM

prayers for him and for you ~ that both will see what is the healthiest options for each

PINK HUGS,

choublak 11-21-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 3682244)
I don't know what finally wakes them up. Some people don't ever wake up.

What about the ones who are "awake" initially and the disease slowly takes over?

outonalimb 11-22-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by nahade (Post 3682172)
He even made this comment on way home "if I had came to see him it wouldn't happen"

If this doesn't just say it all. Honestly. The DENIAL.
I've often wondered what it was going to take to make my exah wake up and see what alcohol and drugs were doing to his life. Only God knows. Sadly, for some, their 'bottom' is death. This is just such a horrible, powerful, baffling, and cunning disease. It can be truly horrifying. But I am SO GLAD that you are taking care of yourself and removing yourself from the insanity. My prayers go out to you and your AH...

Jody675 11-22-2012 04:23 AM

i just think "how ironic"...and its like someone was trying to knock some sense into him and even that didnt work...oh well...it kind of says a lot of things doesn't it!

nahade 11-26-2012 05:00 AM

I left him in his mom care bad as i hate to say it not the best chioce sense she is one of the enablers. I went to see him 2 days later and well i seen what in his hand and i walked out and change my number. by the next day he's back in the er with his head were his brain started to swell again. once he released he went home pour out all his beer and came home with me. he's had 2 good days of rest and sleep but his head stil hurts but that will take time to go away. i'm not getting any hopes up and i only wanted him to at least heal some before doing something else crazy. so time will tell and lots of prayers.

BoxinRotz 11-26-2012 05:50 AM

I pray he can find peace within and feel that enough is enough.

nahade 11-28-2012 10:59 AM

He went back to his meetings last night. Normally he don't say anything and just listens but he spoke up about what had happen and admitted he didn't want to die. I could just cried from over joy he spoke, the one thing he's never done before in a meeting.. it's a small step but i'm thankful for it. He even asked for numbers after the meeting and stayed around and chatted normally he first person to go out door and to the car... I truly hope this was his wake up call... cause he truely is a good person sober..