Toward better holiday memories

Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Toward better holiday memories

Hello, SR family! Many of us (all?) have had holidays ruined by alcohol. In the spirit of better holiday memories, I offer the following share:

Had some business related contact with the AXF. In the course of the conversation, I asked what he was doing for Thanksgiving. I know, better memories might have started by not asking at all. I'm trying to balance compassion and detachment.

His reply: "hunting with the dog". A lifelong passion that he enjoys. I replied, "that's nice, have a good time, how about later?". He replied "nothing". I asked, "not going to your sister?", His reply "no".

In the (recent) past, I would have been all wound up at the thought of him, sitting alone, estranged from his family, and offered my companionship.

My new health allowed me to wish him a good day, and then put it behind me. His choice, his life. Me? I'm spending the day with a good friend, her kids, and later my kids and my ex-husband. All good.

The proof that I am on the right path? While my AXF wished me a good holiday in very grave, serious tones, he didn't inquire about my plans at all. No interest. All about his pain. I may be projecting a bit here, but I knew him pretty well. He's more than likely having a pity party. I'm not.

I am feeling well and centered these days. May we all have peace, contentment, and gratitude this holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!!