How do you take care of yourself?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you take care of yourself?

The first thing I did for myself this week was to get myself to my meeting- I had a week cooped up at home convalescing, and needed to get out!
I find that by going to a meeting, I nourish a part of my life that I had neglected for years- listening to others, sharing their pain and joy and actively connecting with them allows me to examine my life with empathy for myself.

In Courage to Change, there are a few readings on taking care of yourself- empathizing that we should be good to ourselves, take care of ourselves medically, emotionally and financially.

I have spent my life putting everyone's emotional happiness in front of mine- 'it is what I did'. I was so busy doing this that I neglected myself emotionally. This had negative effects, I was so wrapped up in the idea of keeping people happy that I forgot to ask did they need it. I was very needy, constantly wanting others to make me happy in return. I finally reached emotional bankruptcy- I had nothing to give- not to the alcoholic, not to my children, not to my friends, the dog and most importantly to myself.
Thankfully I believe that my HP helped me say that enough was enough- and my journey to recovery began by going to AlAnon, and when I finally realized that I was powerless over my life, and accepted that.
So Taking Care of Myself- for me today means :
Putting my serenity first above all things.
Realizing that I am not responsible for anyone's happiness.
Making sure that I trust my HP to hand over my problems, by developing my relationship through meditation and prayer.
Ensuring that I rest, eat and sleep well.
By learning to say NO as a single sentence.
Practising daily the art if deflecting gaslighting and quacking.
By starting every day with gratitude-
And finally when life gets too much, hug the dog, read a book , get in the garden- and buy a plant to celebrate life!
How do you take care of yourself?!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don,t get into stupid conversations with RA friend.

Stay home in the morning to relax ,wakeup and have my coffee while he goes to a meeting.

Work on my own recovery.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, for today I will be making some homemade chicken noodle soup, as both my son and I came down with nasty colds yesterday.

I keep Al Anon literature in every bathroom in my house and some of them have pens and highlighters inside. I also have a daily reader in my car in case I want to read while stuck at a light.

I go for a walk every day.
I check in with my sponsor at least once a week, sometimes more.
I am reading Codependent No More and am writing in a journal about my experiences.
I go to 2 yoga classes a week and practice at home(I used to be an instructor so I have my own sun salutation routine that I do daily)
I don't eat sugar or white flour, and stay away from junk foods. When I eat like crap, I feel like crap.
I sit in my backyard and watch the quails in the desert next to the house and sometimes catch the coyotes on the prowl. I enjoy nature and hike often, too, when the weather is cooler.
I play tennis with a group of friends and we vent about our kids, life, aging parents, etc.
I make sure I laugh every day!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I am taking the kids to paint pottery today. Then off to the park to throw around the football with my son. Can't forget about the packer game!!! I love Sundays. Especially when I am not hungover
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by diha View Post
I am taking the kids to paint pottery today. Then off to the park to throw around the football with my son. Can't forget about the packer game!!! I love Sundays. Especially when I am not hungover
Ok, I just had to say that I love your avatar picture and have decided that I am going to make bacon this AM, just because your picture put me in the mood for it, LOL!