My little sister has just died

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My little sister has just died

I am new to this site...

I don't understand, I am devastated I have lost my little sister, she died just two days ago, she has been an alcoholic for years.

I am not sure how I am ever going to come to terms with her death or her illness and I am inconsolable.

How do you grieve when I so dearly want to protect her memory, I can't discuss what she and her close family have been through its too diffilcult and if the only thing I can do for her now is protect her and honour and remember the special amazing beautiful and gorgeous person she used to be, is that enough? It just feels to late.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved sister.

Your grieving will be deep. May I suggest that you "be there" for her children? Helping them may be therapeutic for you and it may be what your sister would want you to do.

******** hugs }}}}
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry for your loss willow - But I know you'll find a lot of comfort and support here .

D
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

im so sorry for your loss. you dont have to write on here what all her family had been through or what has happened because in the end it wasnt her, her is who she was underneath the addiction. give yourself some time to heal as i am sure you have so many unanswered feelings. i am truly truly sorry that your sister has passed so early in her life and that she has left so many people to mourn this loss. i too am an older sister, i have two younger sisters and know the bond between siblings.
deepest sincerity,
Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So very deeply sorry xxxx
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello willow, I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. You, your family, and all who loved your sister will be in my thoughts and prayers. I think remembering and honoring the good and happy times with your sister is a fine thing!

My daughter-in-law is currently mourning the loss of her sister to addiction. The young woman who died left behind two daughters as well. She was 38. Her family acknowledges her struggles with addiction openly, but they choose to remember and honor the beautiful woman and the joyful memories instead of dwelling on the horrors of addiction.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Survivor

I am so, so sorry for your loss. What a terrible tragedy.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. It is the worst sort of tragedy, and you have my deep sympathy. Your sister was a prisoner to alcohol, and now is suffering no more. It is so senseless, but alcohol is so powerful and takes many lives. So sorry for her children as well.
My prayers go up for you, your sweet sister, and her children, and all who mourn this deep loss.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

So very sorry.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. Honoring her memory with all of who she really was underneath her insidious addiction is a fine thing. I hope that you can be kind to yourself, knowing that underneath it all, she did love you all but could not break free of her addiction. Yes, it enough to remember the good things. I know that you will not forget the difficult times, but it is not too late to honor who she really was.

I pray for you and all of your family that you will be supported during this time and that the happy memories can somehow become foremost in your minds to bring comfort.

Please keep posting. These boards have saved me more than once.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your loss. It's so hard to come to terms with something so unjust. Please be kind to yourself as you work through your grief. You will find endless support and understanding here.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family in this so very difficult time. I am so so sorry for your loss.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for yur loss.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear Willow,
I am very sorry for your loss.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your sister and all affected by this sad passing.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Willow, I understand that your grief feels just unbearable, now. My heart is going out to you. I believe you can gain comfort from being there for her family to help them honor the part of your sister that was real--not the addiction ravaged part. She will always live in your heart.

dandylion
Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. I hate, hate, hate this disease. Not only for what it does to the addict but for what it does to their loved ones. Yes, keep the good memories of your sister alive. Sending you many hugs (((((willow)))))
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Prayers to you and your family today. Having had a similar situation happen recently, I know its a baffling situation to be in. She was so young, as was my friend. It's just a tragedy.
Take good care,
~T
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lots of love to you, Willow. I lost a family member to addiction when he was 25. I know the complete bafflement (if that's a word) around how to handle things. I was very young at the time, but I do remember that DENIAL was huge in that circumstance. To the point where there was never an obituary published, and his funeral was family only. Most people who went to high school with him have no idea he's dead.

I think, based on my experiences, that you can honor her memory while acknowledging the horrid disease that ended her life. I think learning about alcoholism, and teaching her children about it, would be a wonderful gift to them in her honor.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's tragic to lose someone so young. My prayers go out to you.