OT - Natural Beauty of Southern Oregon

Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

It does sound like a lot. The nature calendars I get at the mall are usually $15 to $18.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Picture 1 is so beautiful it looks unreal.
Picture 3 is my favorite!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
It does sound like a lot. The nature calendars I get at the mall are usually $15 to $18.
Thanks for your input L2L. I would not be able to compete with the mall. They probably print thousands of calendars and therefore get a better price. I would only be able to do tens (hundreds at best) so that's why I asked.

L
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's it. I'm moving!!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I live in a beautiful place too- central Va. Blue Ridge Mts.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hear ya LaTeeDa on the prices at the mall etc. But I have purchased gorgeous calendars from independent stores (love to support local!) and have paid $32 for a calendar I liked. I am not sure about how you are selling your photos (web or?) but perhaps a local store could help as a test study to see how it goes. But if you do make a calendar, let me know!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Those are lovely photos, as a hobby photographer myself I love seeing new areas and other perspectives and your pictures certainly capture the beauty and the peace of those areas.

I was in Portland years ago on business and promised myself that one day I could go back and spend more time in that beautiful state, but so far the promise remains unfulfilled.

Thank you for sharing this beauty.

Hugs
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Beautiful! On my recent trip out west, I photographed some beautiful falls, mostly in Yellowstone and Glacier parks. Of coarse, since I have no real photography skills, they are no where near the quality of yours!

Thanks so much for posting these gorgeous photos!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

thats it!
now to find my CAMERA!!

St. Lawarence Seaway...here i come!!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingmyjoy1 View Post
I hear ya LaTeeDa on the prices at the mall etc. But I have purchased gorgeous calendars from independent stores (love to support local!) and have paid $32 for a calendar I liked. I am not sure about how you are selling your photos (web or?) but perhaps a local store could help as a test study to see how it goes. But if you do make a calendar, let me know!!!!!!!!!
Thanks kmj. Right now I sell prints through a POD site. (Print on Demand) However, they don't do calendars. If I do one, I would like to do POD so I don't end up with a box of calendars in my office that never sold, lol. I'm going to do some more checking around today and see what I can find.

L
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For me, having photographs around me that are both lovely and taken by someone I know and admire makes higher-than-the-mall prices worth it!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree with Tuffgirl! ^ $30 doesn't seem like too much for a year's worth of incredibly beautiful and inspiring photos!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The waterfall almost made me want to cry, its so beautiful !
Perhaps you can prepare pictures for a calendar then sell it on-demand for your private customers
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The thing is, I just don't know if the calendar thing is worth the effort. I have spent all day researching print on demand calendars, and even the kind I would have to order and reship. If I want a good quality calendar, the cost is at least $20. So, in order to make a profit, I have to charge $25-30. Plus, the calendar templates I am finding don't allow much flexibility in terms of image size and format. So, I would have to crop and resize my images to fit. And, honestly, I don't have that many images that (I think) would look good in a mostly square format.

Add to that, my profit when I sell a print is usually $50-250 per print. I'm just not sure I want to spend the time and effort required to put together a calendar in hopes of making $5 each.

I'm still thinking about it, though......

L
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

If not a calendar maybe you can create a screensaver ?
Or perhaps contact music labels and see if the New Age records are interested in putting one picture in their CDs.
I don't know, just throwing ideas here

In my opinion the creatives should focus on their creativeness and they should have a team of marketing/PR people to worry about the rest!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts TC. The thing is, I'm doing pretty good just selling prints. I don't know if I want to venture into other things right now. Maybe I should just stick with what's working, you know?

L
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ahh yes, I see what you mean...
OMG how exciting that now you can take more pictures from now on!

Yesterday I was about to throw a pity party as I will spend the whole weekend alone in a new city.. but I am taking the camera with me, downtown... so thanks to you, this weekend won't suck...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

LaTeeDa, Love your pictures! A few years ago I made calendars, from photographs I had taken, as gifts for my parents for Christmas. I used the Snapfish site. I don't know if that site would suit your purposes but the prices were reasonable, I felt, and you could put the calendar and pictures together many different ways, such as one picture per page, a collage of pictures, 2 or 3 pictures, different backgrounds, etc., and you would be able to sell them individually without buying say 100 or so and then not being able to sell that many. I want to say I paid right around $20 for the ones I ordered. The paper was high quality and they looked very professionally done. When they came to my house, they were even wrapped individually in heavy duty plastic (not just cheap cellophane that some come wrapped in), completely sealed and all. I was curious though as to the final product, so I had to open them before giving them away! You could even just make one first to see if you like the final product or not---sorry don't mean to sound like an advertisement for them--I just was really happy with what I received.

Good luck with your photography and most of all, have fun!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the compliments and ideas. I have decided to do it through Redbubble. I think part of my frustration was that I wanted to do a waterfall theme, but many of my waterfalls are shot in vertical orientation, which just doesn't work well on calendars. So, I had a nice bath and thought about a theme for a calendar. And it came to me that I could do the beauty of Siskiyou County (which is the county I live in). I have many images that could work for this idea, and I could also market it locally.

I am busy uploading images now. I will let you know when the calendar is created.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

L
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

well i am in for 2 calendars...would be good for AL ANON sayings....?? just thought about that....

especially for KEEP IT SIMPLE
and ONE DAY AT A TIME....