cancelled al anon meetings?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cancelled al anon meetings?

Hey everyone...since we lost power and a large area of our town is still without power, i dont know if my alanon meeting is on tonight or not. I called the "north jersey" phone number but the woman gave me a lot of attitude about not knowing and me needing to call the individual group. I dont have a phone number and cant find anything online. When i asked where I can find a number for the individual group she said "ummm...online?" Anyone know how to find out if meetings are cancelled or not? there is no update on the nj home page but it is far enough from my house that i dont want to drive there for no reason. Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

If you have a phone list from the meeting you can try to call a few people and see if anyone knows.

There's a meeting room up the road from me in an alcohol treatment center surrounded by trees. The meeting I went to last night gained an extra 15 members because the men's group that typically meets in this meeting room was displaced due to the power outage.

The meeting I was attending, meanwhile, had lots of desserts because the prior week was their anniversary and was cancelled-by-hurricane, so some people weren't sure if the anniversary would be last night or cancelled or rescheduled or what.

The Al-Anon structure works great in a lot of ways, but unfortunately transfer-of-official-information-between-meetings is not one of them. If you have the phone list I'd start with that, otherwise I'm not really sure what to tell you. Do you know anyone who lives nearby the meeting who could check?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No phone list for that meeting-i have one for other meetings naturally. oh well...i guess i just wont go this time..it is somewhat frustrating that there is no system for that-like a statewide forum saying what meetings are cancelled or what not...o well.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You can try calling where the meeting is held (church, building, whatever)
and see if they have power. If they do I would imagine tht the meeting is
on, if they don't, probably no meeting.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Meeting information

Originally Posted by bamboo10 View Post
Hey everyone...since we lost power and a large area of our town is still without power, i dont know if my alanon meeting is on tonight or not. I called the "north jersey" phone number but the woman gave me a lot of attitude about not knowing and me needing to call the individual group. I dont have a phone number and cant find anything online. When i asked where I can find a number for the individual group she said "ummm...online?" Anyone know how to find out if meetings are cancelled or not? there is no update on the nj home page but it is far enough from my house that i don't want to drive there for no reason. Any ideas?
Al-Anon groups registered with the Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters,Inc. usually have a group contact's first name and telephone number listed. You can call 888-425-2666 between 8 am to 6 pm ET to check into this. Each Al-Anon group is also in district. If you contact the AFG, Inc. to ask for the Delegate of your state or province (I am assuming you are in the U.S. or Canada), the Delegate will be able to give you contact information for the District Representative.

Another thing you might try is calling the facility to see if it is open to the public and that it has electricity and heat. If it isn't open to the public, your Al-Anon meeting can't meet there at its regular time. Due to these circumstances, have you considered a meeting in another part of the city/town where you live?

I know what it is like to need a meeting. The weather is sure messing things up. But safety issues also figure into the mix of the services that the facility has. Am sure you don't want to drive into a flood zone. There are Al-Anon telephone and on-line meetings. The Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters has a list of electronic meetings on its web site, Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups. Go to the "How do I find a meeting" section of the site.

When I can't make it to a meeting, I call my Sponsor or another Al-Anon member, read appropriate passages in Al-Anon literature by using the indexes of books, and then even write how I am feeling.

One of the things that helped me so much in Al-Anon was having "Plan B" and that I am responsible for creating it. It was a real gift to me to know that Al-Anon gives me choices. So, I hope what I have suggested to you as options will help you find some answers or at least alternatives.

Al-Anon has helped me to learn to stay safe--physically, emotionally, and spiritually.