When "they" go NC

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When "they" go NC

As much has I have distanced myself from my abf I still care what happens to him; he's my sons father. He has chosen to go No contact, it's kinda eating me up. I'd atleast like to know he is ok, but I have no idea how to look for him. I guess he's gonna have to hit bottom and resurface to the top. I have great sympathy for parents of alcoholics it must be so hard not knowing. No wonder we enable, to try and keep them safe.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It has been 2 1/2 years sinced my Xah when NC, well he did showed up drunk once 9 months later, however I read here things that makes sense why? One was that they know how important my children are so he punish them by nc to hurt me.
Second they are self-seeking self centered so they don't care about our feelings or emotions.
Time will heal you, keep working the program, read and work the steps.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh
In my experience, do not "go there". No contact is so both of you can heal and move on. I tried recently to establish contact w/ axbf and found he is still a seething mass of anger and resentment. All it did was open up old wounds for me.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
Ugh
In my experience, do not "go there". No contact is so both of you can heal and move on. I tried recently to establish contact w/ axbf and found he is still a seething mass of anger and resentment. All it did was open up old wounds for me.
The last time I saw my A, he told me I was no longer allowed at the house where he was renting a room (claimed the homeowner said so) and that, furthermore, he "didn't give a s**t" if I came around again or not, because we weren't "dating."
I was in pain and stunned by his cruel insensitivity for weeks afterward. He knew I was in love in him.
Ugh, don't go there is right. I decided that if he didn't care if he saw me, it was time I didn't care about seeing HIM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I spent a long time worried when I was in touch with the A in my life.

I spent a long time worried when I was NC (regardless of who started/kept it) in my life.

When I started to learn that I did not cause it, cannot control it and cannot cure it I think I actually became more worried.

Two things helped.
1. I realized that the only common person in all of the above was me, myself and I. My worrying was the same with or without the A actively in my life. What was worrying getting me? What was worrying costing me? I was expending a lot of energy. That helped a lot.

2. This might sound strange (and no offense meant if a higher power is not your thing). I came to realize that I had a higher power for me, and that my A had his own higher power. What I was capable of doing was praying to his higher power to help him find his way (I was just giving mine a laundry list of what I thought my A was doing wrong). This was strangely helpful and I felt like a burdened was lifted off of me, without having me having to lift a finger.