Worried about my brother's escalating alcoholism

Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my brother's escalating alcoholism

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I’m very concerned about my brother’s life spiraling out of control, all due to his alcoholism, Long story short; he has been a friend of alcohol since we both went into the military; we are both out now. He had multiple alcohol related incidents and arrests while in the Navy and eventually got his first DUI. Within a year of the first DUI, and 6 months of living together, he stole my car and totaled it resulting in a second DUI. He was doing well for about a year after the 2nd DUI, had a good job, and seemed serious about getting his life together. He eventually was fired from that job for stealing money, which I think was to support his need for alcohol. I eventually got my associates degree and was ready to transfer to my current university which meant that he had to find a new place to live, which ended up being at my parent’s house. The day I moved was the day that he began to take a turn for the worst. He began drinking super heavily and was probably using some type of drug based on the behavior he displayed in front of my parents. About a month ago he just disappeared, leaving all his stuff at my parents’ house, not answering his phone, and not showing up to his job. I found out that he had sold his car at a scrap yard to get money for alcohol which he blew in the same weekend with his friends who are also drug addicts and alcoholics. He eventually returned home and said he wanted to get his life together. My parents laid out some very strict rules which included going to AA at least twice a week, seeing a therapist, and start paying his debts off. Once again it seemed as if he was getting serious about changing, but we were wrong. About two days ago my dad got a call from a police officer (he’s a police officer in the same department) who said that they had calls about a suspicious person asking for money and peeking into cars; it turned out to be my brother. The police officer put my brother on the phone and he gave my dad some unintelligible story about what he was doing and then just hung up on him. The officer let my brother go since he was not driving and was not too intoxicated yet. They watched him and saw him buy more beer and jump on the bus and leave the city. We’ve called his phone and someone keeps answering saying that he bought my brother’s phone from someone. He left all his stuff at my parents’ house, has no phone, and didn’t show up to work. I’m greatly concerned about what ‘s going to happen because I know he’s going to be fired from his job leaving him with no money, no car, and no hope, and I know that he is not coming home this time. I’m honestly concerned that he is going to end up hurt or dead because when he drinks he turns into a whole other person, a person who is extremely angry and impulsive. He’s an adult so there is nothing we can really do and we don’t even know where to look if we wanted to find him. This addiction thing is something new to our family so we don’t really know what we should be doing in this type of situation. I guess I’m just looking for some advice or similar stories.

Thanks