Im new here. and so sad and confused.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
CXR

Originally Posted by VanillaSpice View Post
Hi all, my name is madie, I am new here and looking for I suppose some support in what I am experiencing at the moment. I feel as if my life is over and im devestated at my boyfriend of 2 years and his drinking. The emotional rollercoaster that im on and I feel as if its like having this lovely box of chocolates in front of me but when i open them some are poison and i never know which one im going to get each day. I have read some of the posts and its like reading my own life story. please someone help me. I cant eat, sleep or function at any level. As i type we have split up yet again as he is on a major beer drinking, wallowing in self pity couple of days. I get a text to say we are finished. I know he has done this as I have been asking him to try to get help, so with me out of the way he doesnt have to justify his drinking to anyone, until he becomes ill and rings me to say he is sorry, the usual bull, he loves me, misses me, his life wiould not be complete with out me rubbish. like all the others posting, he is a lovely person when he is sober, and that used to last for maybe 2 weeks, but the days are getting closer now and he seems to be drinking every second day. He doesnt just drink until he is drunk, he drinks until he falls down and makes a nuisance of himself, hangs out of people, makes rude remarks. It has gone to the stage he is now missing mostly fridays or mondays at work, and he works in a small town for a big multinational, the guys at work are covering for him when he goes off early in the day to drink, he is going to get into trouble as a work mate of his called me this evening to tell me that people are talking about him and there have been some serious remarks about him missing days because of drink.I know I didnt make him an alcoholic, nor can i make him get help, and I certainly cant cure him. I need help for me, to try to deal with this as i feel im going mad. its the not knowing if he has gone to work, is he in the pub, will he come home, will he be safe, what will i do if anything happens to him, is he telling me the truth when he says things, it has gotten to the stage where I dont believe or trust him anymore, we dont live together, but he does or used to stay with me maybe 3-4 nights in the week, that has dwindled as he is staying out drinking in his own town now which is about 30 miles away and his excuse is a taxi is too expensive, but he aways has money for drink. Im probably not even making any sense in this post, but i feel nothing makes sense any more, and im feeling so detached from my body its frightning. I have no one to talk to about this except my Boyfriend and there is no point in doing that. Please id really appreciate some words of wisdom.

Madie...
Madie, your bf/ex-bf's life is spiraling out of control...and so will your's if you don't stop. YOU can only stop if YOU want to get better. You can find contentment, even happiness whether he's drinking or not, whether you are together or not, etc.

This is about you making a decision to get better. Go to an al anon meeting and begin your recovery. Focus on what you need to do for you -- for you to feel better, get better, and be healthy.

You might be having trouble right now feeling you can't live without him. Maybe you are trying to figure out how you can live without him. But you will find those answers and you will be fine...because....YOU cannot live with him
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Vanillaspice your post reminds me of a time years ago when I was at my wits end with AH. I was working - he wasn't - I was the breadwinner and had a very very high powered and high stress job he was jealous of. He would keep me up arguing till after midnight knowing i had to leave home at 6.30 am for work, he didn't care. He would not let me turn on the light when I was trying to get ready in our bedroom, he would bring strangers home from the bar to drink in our house till all hours. He is a heavy smoker. One night after all the shops had closed I cut up all his cigarettes and put them into his beer, - it felt brilliant!

Eventually I had enough - quit the job and brought myself and our kids back to ireland ( we had been living abroad) he had no money to stay out there on his own and had to come back with us. He was as 'nice as nine pence' because he had no choice, he behaved himself for the next 3 years as he had no other means of financial support - amazing how much self control he suddenly had when it was necessary for his survival.!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

moved all my belongings out on Sunday and have had no contact with him since, he was crying, I was crying and he begged me not to go...that he would get help again, that he would look after me, that things would change, that he would change and for a few seconds I almost believed him, wanted to believe him.. the shock and the realisation that I was going was so obvious on his face, but I went, and it almost killed me to leave him behind...I have been miserable ever since, cant sleep, cant eat, don't want to get out of the bed, but this evening as I write this I know these feeling will be short term, where as staying in a toxic relationship will be long term and destroy me in the process...but, I miss him so much, the sober him, the other him...the nice him...the person I love, not the drunk....I'm hurting so much...I want him to be better...but I know I cant do it for him, that's the worst knowing that I can do nothing for him...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, hon. Sending you all the hugs.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

One week today and I haven't contacted him, tho he has sent me texts and emails, begging me to come back, missing me, loves me, what a load of S$£"...nothing about im getting help with my addiction...I just read them and laughed, all the lies that he told me, all the tears in my eyes, (Is that a song)? I feel in control now, that whatever I decide to do today, its "My" choice, just like he chooses to drink....
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Feeling so lonely today, extreme waves of sadness and tears...am so trying to be strong.....I feel i'm being eaten away from the inside...lots of text being sent to me, but I have not replied...the last text was telling me id always be alone, that i'm old and ugly, that no one would ever bother looking at me...I think that's how he is feeling now, and he is still shocked that I finally left him and he is angry about that.....but, I miss him, I miss the old him, not the alcoholic.....

one hour at time, please dear god get me thro it..
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am thinking of you madie.

You ARE strong. Remember that.

the last text was telling me id always be alone, that i'm old and ugly, that no one would ever bother looking at me.
Have you considered blocking his texts? Please do not allow him any space in your head.
He does not care what he is saying, he is using whatever he thinks will hurt you and/or get you back under control in some way.

Is there a meeting nearby for you? Anything to treat yourself better today.
you are worth more. you deserve more.

Beth
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thank you wicked, there is a meeting this evening, but I just don't have the energy to go tonight, have cried too much and am feeling awful..I know im a million times better that what he has said but im just finding everything difficult as it is so raw..I know he is trying to hurt me because he is still in shock that I have left and wont contact him..I will get to an al-non meeting next Tuesday when I am a bit stronger...I have good family support but sometimes I just feel im quacking on so its lovely to come here and get support.....thank you...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

You are not quacking on here my dear Madie.

I understand how you are feeling. It will take some time and support to get through it.

Ah, Dr. Phil just reminded me that it is over when I say it's over.
Yeah, he can be annoying, but his turn of phrase sometimes gets through to me.
Like being in recovery for alcohol. simple phrases.
One day at a time. Take it easy. Keep it simple. It works if you work it.

Thank you for being here Madie.

When I read Ireland (your location) I think of a fairy tale land! Silly I know.
I have some distant relatives in Ireland, I do not remember where, and now I have found something to look for! (the genealogy my uncle found and emailed to me.)
Ireland....I have daydreams of a cottage in a village. LOL
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Feeling so lonely today, extreme waves of sadness and tears...am so trying to be strong.....I feel i'm being eaten away from the inside...lots of text being sent to me, but I have not replied...the last text was telling me id always be alone, that i'm old and ugly, that no one would ever bother looking at me...I think that's how he is feeling now, and he is still shocked that I finally left him and he is angry about that.....but, I miss him, I miss the old him, not the alcoholic.....

one hour at time, please dear god get me thro it..
Madie, I hope you see these comments for the QUACKING that they are - yes, he's shocked that you've left & upset the balance of his world by refusing to play the game his way any longer. I agree with Beth, block him from texts & email & stop letting him spew hateful, untrue things like this at you.

I hope you get some time for YOU today!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Co-dependant Control Freak

Vanilla: I urge you go to go talk to someone, be it al anon, or your friends. Once you get it out in the open, it loses some of its power over you! Once he knows he cant control you with the secret, he very well may walk away cause now it is too difficult when there are other influences in your life than him.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Wicked there are so many really beautiful places here in Ireland, and they are fairy tale, I hope you find your relations here...that would be cool...there is a really special village around 15 km from where I live, the next time I am there I will take a couple of photographs and then you will see the true beauty of Ireland...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thinking of you...

Someone once told me this: never let someone with ugly behavior call you ugly. You are what you portray to the world around you. To me, you are beautiful inside and out!!

I know it's easier said than done as I'm wallowing in my own sadness tonight, but we are strong and we need to remind ourselves of that fact!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

having a real bad day today...feeling lost and sad several months after break up.....he is still my first and last thought each day....and I miss him...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by backtolifeforme View Post
Please think about going to an AlAnon meeting to help yourself because his drinking is out of your control & nothing you can do or say will help him get sober. He needs to want to stop drinking for himself & enter + commit to recovery for himself (sobriety & recovery are two different things). AlAnon is for the A's loved ones.

Make no mistake that you will be sacrificing more of your mental health if you do choose to stay & if you stay long enough, you may suffer some physical health downfalls as well. No one who is in a relationship with an active A gets out without having some personal collateral damage. This is a terrible illness & not many make it through recovery despite repeated efforts. You need to know the demon you are dealing with in order to make the best decision for your life & your future. This illness is progressive & it will get worse without treatment. If you do plan to stay, make sure you learn as much as you can about this illness & about detaching so you can somewhat protect yourself emotionally.

I stayed in my relationship for over 13+ years doing everything & anything I could think of. Nothing worked. My XAB refused to give up his first love, alcohol & refused to stick to any recovery program. When I've kicked him out in the past, he'd run to his A Mom's place & she'd enable him. When his A Mom would get fed up, I'd take him back & enable him. Someone was always there to enable so he never really hit rock bottom. I terminated the relationship last Fall & this time it was permanent. It took me almost a full year to prep breaking up with him. I still love him but it's a different kind of love now mixed with some pity. I realized awhile back that he doesn't have the skills needed to sustain a relationship nor does he have coping skills needed to deal with real life on a daily basis. I chose to go to AlAnon & go into counselling to heal myself & get better from being such a codependent. He chose to keep drinking & self destructing.

Some examples of the progression with my XAB:

- Drank socially until 2 yrs into our r/l when I discovered he was an alcoholic coming from a long line of alcoholics. After my discovery, he began to hide vodka bottles.

- 4 years in, I saw that he blamed every job loss on employer or coworkers. It was never his fault, ever. 6 years in, he was found passed out in his car in parking lot of workplace. I found out by his coworker calling me. He blamed it on his workplace & was still harping about how crappy they are up til last year. Probably still trashes them to anyone who will listen, I don't know since I'm out of picture by choice.

- Started driving drunk without my knowledge 5 years in. Got 2 DUIs. First one he blamed on the cops, the second he blamed on me. It didn't matter that the reason he got the DUIs was because he decided to drink then drive - it was someone else's fault.

- Lost his driver's license 8 years in & blamed that on me. Despite the fact it was taken away from him due to repeated DUI infractions.

I was completely deluded to think that if I gave more, loved more, supported more...he'd 'get it' & go find some help. The only time he ever entered any kind of recovery was when he thought he was losing me but it wasn't something he genuinely wanted to do - it was manipulation. Attempts to get me back that worked in the past but not anymore. Every time I'd take him back because he'd show me he was trying to do better, he'd be great for a short period & then revert back to being a verbally abusive drunk. I do not miss the anxiety I felt on a daily basis. I do not miss being thrown in the middle between AXB & his nutty A Mom. I do not miss being blamed for his downfalls in life. I enjoy feeling safe in my home. I enjoy being around emotionally mature & happy people. I enjoy not having to be a pseudo parent to a man child alcoholic with underlying mental health issues. Life is too short. It took me ages to see these realities!
You are my hero! Im just a few months post breakup from a 10 month relationship and I'm feeling a little (very little) better. This is the hardest thing I have ever been through!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

having a real bad day today...feeling lost and sad several months after break up.....he is still my first and last thought each day....and I miss him...
I feel like your story mirrors mine! I'm told by the lovely folks here on SR that it gets better so I have to believe it! Hugs!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm sorry - (((HUGS))) it will get easier, I promise! Are there things you can do for yourself today? Meet a friend or family member, retail therapy, a warm bath and some new nail polish, a new book or film, pick up a new hobby you've been thinking about, exercise, anything to keep yourself busy and take your mind off it?

Hang in there - you are WAY better off, even though it sometimes feels like crud!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

so sorry.

This is a heart-breaking thread.

Best to you.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi Vanilla, the emotional high you got when you heard him confess to being an alcoholic and needing help is something I remembered experiencing when my alcoholic wife told me she was really going to get help this time. She called and spoke to a counselor, and the way she spoke, I really thought 'this was it, finally she is getting some help'.

Keeping this short, nothing changed. I was 'high' from her professing her addiction and then kicked in the heart when I found out how far she is from doing anything about it.

I will tell you this from the bottom of my heart: if you are confident you won't be marrying this guy, drop him now. Otherwise you are only building a future that will be full of regret, not happiness.

If you think marriage is in your joint future, think really hard about it. It doesn't get better when you're wearing the ring. In fact, your options become more complex, and if kids are involved(we have 4), its just plain nightmarish.

In sum, if you were my daughter going through this. I'd tell you to run fast and far from him. And don't look back.

Yes, I will hurt now, but staying only will postpone the hurt. It will definately hurt later. Couple that with a heaping serving of regret makes it just oh so much more excruciating.

I'll pray for you.

Spinner.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Guys thank you, its good to be here...he has been dry for the past few months...and is finally going to AA, he hit rock bottom and believe me it wasn't a pretty sight...thats when I walked out and left him......

I know being with an alcoholic is like riding a roller coaster, so many highs and so many lows, we had some good times, but the bad times out weighed them...everything each of you have said in this thread is my life, or was my life, I have no intention of marrying him, we are not together anymore...

my anger builds tho when I think of the things he did to me, he never physically abused me, although I believe that would have come with time, the verbal abuse, the manipulation, dreadful name calling, the lies, the cheating, and thro all that I was only ever good to him...and his friends and family would never see that side of him.....and he would say that if I told anyone no one would believe me...so sometimes I thought I was actually losing my mind...

I believe in always trying to do right by people, and try to see the good side, but I think im still in shock that he could treat me so badly....and I accepted it....I have never been in a relationship like that before...... and hope to never be again....

Thank you guys I feel a bit better this evening...