Do you ever get closure with EXA

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In all honesty , for me, the only closure there is, is that alcoholism, addiction and co dependency are the cause , understanding these dynamics, educating ourselves about these diseases, acting, taking charge or our lives, calling ******** ******** and getting down and dirty about taking care of ourselves, being proactive about a healthy lifestyle and healthy emotions is the only way we will ever get closure.

There is absolutely no closure to be had with the chaos and damage done to us and the addict in our relationships.

You can not get closure on issues that come about due to this hurricane, you can only learn, bit by bit, how to come out of this with a new sense of self. As a co dependent, I see, that I have a chance to a good and happy future, there is no future for those that we love that continue to be in active addiction. If we keep putting our finger on the hot coals, we will continue to get burnt. I can now relate every single word, action, that was hurtful and wounding to me to drinking. My buttons were pushed, they were being pushed by a shot of vodka, my exabf was not the person I loved when he was drinking. He was a monster, I could not help him, only myself.

I allowed myself to get caught up, knowing somewhere deep down inside, everytime I engaged with him, that it would end in devastation, and it always did.

Now, everytime I think about things, or ask why, the answer always is, addiction. Until the addiction is out of our lives, there is no closure.

The self work is the answer, but always know, that the reason they behave the way they do is because, they are sick, their minds, their bodies, their brains, their spirit is sick.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good thread for me at the moment. I've had some minor contact with my EXAF. Finally asked the only question that would ever lead to consideration of a continued relationship: "Do you still want to hold on to your choice to drink?". His answer was yes. My answer is no.

His desire/need to keep his relationship with alcohol has cost him his relationship with me and my family (as well as with his ex-wife and kids). Sad, but his choice. My choice, too.

My closure came in the form of realizing that he is not capable of sustaining a relationship, and he has no desire to pursue sobriety. It's just not what he wants from his life. He is entitled to live his life as he chooses. So am I.

In my opinion, he's delusional about his ability to "control" his drinking. But that is not my problem. I DO have the ability to control MY life, and I'd like to find a partner with the emotional and social skill set to BE a partner.

No use looking in the hardware store! .

Sad, but reality.

Best to all.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am sad that there are so many alcoholics on SR that are willing & trying & succeeding in being sober, why couldn't my EXABY be one of those.
There is no answer to that question. Some people do, some don't. Or maybe next seek or in five years or a decade. I don't believe closure exists ... we just learn to live with something and the passage of time cuts the pain. At some point we just look back, shake our heads and are glad it's behind us.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Closure is when I open the cellar door to light and new life after the tornado.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well.

This is a pickle.

I'm sorry you've been left hanging... Sometimes if feels as if the person just got up from the table and walked right out of the house of our life and left the front door wide open.

And really, the only thing at that point you can do is muster up the strength and commitment to get up and shut the door yourself.

Do it for you. Make your own closure, because trying to figure out the Why will drive you bonkers.

Trust I would know, lol.

But we love you! keep posting as much as you like, we're here to listen and offer a shoulder if we can...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Closure comes with Acceptance of your own truth. If you are waiting for the other person to give it to you, you likely have a long wait. I've never had an alcoholic or addict validate my feelings, especially regarding a relationship. Many people use their "need for closure" to keep returning to a bad relationship. You can keep your chin up, decide that you are done, turn around, and walk away with dignity. Decide that you will put your SELF first. THAT is closure.
You nailed it, L2L. I'll never get that he would prefer to be alone with the bottle than sober with me. So, it's up to us to provide our own closure, walk away, halt the pain and, in my case, stop romanticizing that I could ever be happy with him while he is actively drinking.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You get closure from you...

...not from him, and not from anybody else.

You.

Cyranoak
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Great thread

I love it when I feel I am getting my own power back.

It also has happened to me, when I let go of someone, I feel lighter, less sad, less angry. And I realize I am also giving back to the person their own toxicity. It was not mine in the first place.

Although to me this sounds like an exercise that lasts a lifetime...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Letting go of the fantasy that another person changed by magic, from one day to the other, is one good way for me to get closure.

Remembering how I felt. I am convinced the only people that change are giving it all their effort and it still takes years/decades. I feel these people are rare.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

soexhausted I went through exactly the same thing.

If you
drink with them,
have sex with them while they are drunk,
help carry them to the car,
drive for them,
laugh at their drunken jokes,
nurse them during the hangover,
in other words.. ENABLE them... OMG! you are the most loved person on Earth.

If you refuse to participate in their alcoholism, you basically cease to exist (for them).

Very sad state of affairs (for them), my mourning lasted years but now that I have some time and space away I realize I am worth way more than that.

It was a nightmare.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

After years of hanging on and begging for closure...I think the only true closure you receive is the closure you give yourself. I am still trying to do that...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow - you just put into words what I'm sitting here crying over. I am so sad but yet I know that by him walking away from me hurts more than I can express, he really did me a favor, still have not claimed that favor since for some reason I want him back, its sick that I would say that after all the chaos but in my head I know we’ll never get back together. I’m in the tug of war right now with my head and heart they are not matching and I'm in the midst of trying to reclaim my life that went from successful to I don't know who I am anymore, no job, just moved home after we lost our apartment from him being unwilling to pay any of the bills. All in a year in a half I fallen this far. It hurts and I know it can only get better and reading all of these posts I see eventually I will be okay. Eventually I will stop crying, and my heart will mend in that spot that feels empty. So thank you for putting it into words.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

I hear ya lovesunandsnow.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think it is part of our human nature to want closure, and lack of it is painful for a time (possibly a very long time). I don’t know that I have closure as much as I have serenity knowing I’m in a better place. Sometimes I don’t want to accept this place I’m in until I once again remind myself it absolutely is the better place…kudos to all of us! We have to bring our own closure…and it will come in its own time. An interesting part is sharing can help bring closure