have you heard of wet houses?

Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

my uncle lives around there and he can't go anywhere near detroit. its really bad. how are they affording this?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am incredibly proud of the program my city has regarding Harm Reduction. It is compassionate, proactive and humane. Addicts are treated with kindness and respect. One of the many things my addiction has taught me is the reality of the words 'There but for fortune, go you or I'.

"Since 1997, the shelter has operated the Harm Reduction Program, a "wet shelter" operated in conjunction with staff from St. M.Hospital on the harm reduction principle. Previously, S. House banned alcohol forcing many homeless alcoholics to stay on the street using unsafe sources of liquor such as rubbing alcohol, cleaners, and industrial products. Under the new "managed alcohol" policy clients enrolled in the program are served one drink every 90 minutes until it is determined that an individual is too inebriated at which point he is denied another shot. The clients have been found to gradually reduce their intake under this regime and many have quit entirely. The 130 beds in the annex are reserved for homeless chronic alcoholics."
Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I just know that I will NEVER forget my own depths so I will NEVER cast judgement on those who can live the (very possibly) last years of their lives in a humane way. Is it the answer? dunno...No longer God.. I bless the shoes I walk in because I've had help I didn't "deserve."
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

We have them where I live, in a mid-sized town in BC Canada. There was a huge outcry over them, but the social planning council overrode the objections and the housing was built and is now occupied. From what I understand, ther eis at least a 3 year waiting list. There are no rules for consumption in the suites, only that the residents keep out of trouble.

This province has the highest rate of alcoholism and addiction in Canada and yet, has a liquor store literally on every corner, while the provincial government has repeatedly cut services for addiction, rehab beds and mental health issues.

It is a slippery slope-does this kind of housing enable the addicts or get them off of the streets? There is no easy answer here for anyone concerned.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scat143 View Post
my uncle lives around there and he can't go anywhere near detroit. its really bad. how are they affording this?
There isn't enough employment or businesses to hire sufficient staff...so who knows.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

These wet houses are not the nicest. I mean they are usually small rooms with a shower. Some have community rooms where they can watch basic cable television though. The on duty nurse determines when they need to make a run to the hospital. It's just like an elderly assisted living home but for chronic drunks. Someone in late stage alcoholism can no longer function & no longer have the ability to stay sober. AA meetings, tough love, homelessness, no gloves/hat ect.... doesn't matter they are going to get drunk. I wish they extended these programs to more cities. What they are doing now is not working.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

This is so darn beautiful and so true! For all of my marriage, we drank socially together. But I was able to keep it level. He simply was not. And he's worked so hard for sobriety. I feel so darn fortunate to not have a brain that fosters addiction - I could've, should've been right there with him. You speak such truth >

One of the many things my addiction has taught me is the reality of the words 'There but for fortune, go you or I'.

I have to say, I pity a society and world that allows these people - our neighbors and our family - to die on the streets. We must continue to find ways to help them. Not point fingers at them with a lack of compassion. A majority of this world's most egregious ills are linked directly to addictions, we can't afford not to help.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
I have to say, I pity a society and world that allows these people - our neighbors and our family - to die on the streets. We must continue to find ways to help them. Not point fingers at them with a lack of compassion. A majority of this world's most egregious ills are linked directly to addictions, we can't afford not to help.
What do you suggest be done for people like the one I described in my previous posts in this thread?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Its really a last resort not a vacation resort. They still have rules, no room service... Its kind of a sad place to have to end up. I know about it cause there is one in my home town.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wet houses must be different than what I am familiar with, which are wet shelters. We don't have any wet shelters in my province, but I support them 100% and wish we did.

Homeless shelters most often turn away someone who is intoxicated, and don't allow alcohol. By allowing them to drink, they are preventing a chronic alcoholic from going through DT's...and also, get's them off the street in freezing temperatures during the winter. It is a stop gap measure to prevent an undignified death ( which no one deserves).As far as costs go, it has already been shown time and time again that they save tax payers money, as petty crime, ambulance calls and hospital stays are reduced.

The wet shelters I am familiar with are staffed medically and dispense the alcohol.

The people using these facilities are not even remotely in the same situation as you or I sitting at home and having our basic needs met. These are people who are the fringes of society and usually shunned by most. I'm an alcoholic, and I drank because day to day life was sressful for me. I can only imagine if my reality was theirs...I'd be obliviated 24/7.

The other interesting thing is, is that wet shelters often do help those who seem helpless...Quite simply put..these people have hit worse rock bottom than most, and once the agitation of wondering where they will sleep, where they will eat, or where their next drink will come from, it allows them more freedom of thought and will.

They of course are not ideal in many situations, but overall, save money, and even if they don't do anything other than keep someone warm at night and afford them even a smidgen of dignity, I like I said, think they are greatly needed.