All posts visible to everyone?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All posts visible to everyone?

When I joined SR I didn't realize that all posts were visible to non-members. This alarms me a little bit for various reasons. Is there any way to make it so this can't happen anymore? I came here for knowledge and advice, and I ended up getting so much more out of it than I imagined. I don't want to leave, but I am very concerned that unwelcome eyes will view the things I say...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talltrees, it would make no difference seeing anyone can become a member.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well yes, but if members' posts were restricted to members only, my nosy family wouldn't be able to find my posts and would not join, which keeps my words a little safer.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was still married to my X I would always clean the history trail when I got off of SR. Do you think they know about SR?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Anything you post here can be googled. I would suggest keeping everything you do anonymous, don't make your avatar a recognizable pic of yourself, and don't tell family members or friends about a great place you found unless you don't want them figuring out your identity.

Over the years I've seen folks request a change to their screen name and just plain stop posting for fear their A would read their posts.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not my immediate family I'm worried about. It's the family I grew up in, my mom in particular, whom I would expect to Google some of the things I might mention, or some of my personal information. She found my biologoical dad's posts and personal information that way and was proud to share it with me. It sounds dumb and maybe a little paranoid, but I think she does this all the time. I typed in some phrases I used on SR to test it out, and found myself pretty quickly in the search results :-(
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If your aware of this just be very careful on what you post and I'm sure you can still be able to share. I'm sorry to say this but maybe throw in some things that might not be true just so she doesn't think it could possibly be you.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Talltrees)) - I've been on SR for years. I once typed in something about a class I was taking in school, later googled it and my post came up!

None of my family knows my screen name, much less about SR. They know I'm on a "recovery board" but that's it.

I've gotten more careful about what I post, the google search is always in the back of my mind. My stepsister is in recovery, I just told her I was on a "recovery forum" then worried that she would find me here, see what I had posted about her mom (my stepmom who is a very active addict". If she found me, she's never said. I've talked to her about my stepmom so I'm no longer afraid if she finds me.

I've managed to survive here since 2007 and use "pet names" for people in my family, names they have no clue of so it won't show up on google because they wouldn't know how to look for it. I have to admit, that scared me a bit, but it's been a long time since then, and though I've posted pics of myself on here, none of my family knows anything about this place other than "wow, that recovery thing you're on is REALLY cool" as they've seen changes in me, and no matter WHAT comes up (hypothyroid dog, plumbing issues, as well as the addiction/codependency stuffy), they are convinced I can find the answer.

Sooo, I understand the fear, but I've just learned to be more careful about what I say (thinking "google") and the benefits of being here have far outweighed the risks of my family finding me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally I don't register with any forum/bulletin boards until I have had a chance to read posts and get a feel for the place.

If it's not my cup of tea, then I don't bother to register.

As sensitive and painful as alcoholism/addictions are, I can understand someone not registering and just reading for support here.
How many "lurkers" benefit from reading here I don't know, but I suspect it's a pretty high number.

If you want complete anonymity, the place to not be is the internet, yes?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's safe to assume that anything on the internet is searchable by anyone at any time. It's good that this stuff is searchable so people in trouble can find good info and support.

My advice is to use a dummy email address to register (like mailinator.com) and use a handle that you don't use anywhere else online.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I"m sorry you're feeling anxious about your mother finding your posts. You can remove all defining markers, such as your location, etc.

You can also tell your mother to respect you and your boundaries, in case you need permission
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. Just wow.

Do people really have absolutely nothing better to do than google for another person's online forum posts?

I know with my family, some of them don't quite get the whole online forum thing, and the others just aren't that interested in what other people do online. Well my dad can be kind of stalky, I guess...
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Talltrees and everyone else,

Yes, all posts here are visible to anyone. It is an open forum, as stated, in part, within Rule 9:

9. If it shouldn't be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted to the forums or chat rooms. This is a public, family-friendly forum. In addition, if something would not be considered “work safe” (to a boss or co-worker), then it shouldn’t be posted.
Also,

14. Members are responsible for their own actions, what they post and who they share their information with, here and outside of SR. They are reminded that anyone can read here, people don't have to join SR in order to read what is written. Only under rare circumstances will Administrators here edit what has been written as it is not fair to other members who have taken the time and thought to respond and for the smooth continuity of running these forums.
We highly recommend that anyone who decides to join SR be very circumspect with their personal information.

We always recommend that members:
  • always choose a name that has absolutely nothing to do with you in real life.
  • never share their location.
  • never post their own pictures here.
  • be careful about who they discuss their membership with here in real life.

Also, when you register for an account here, you are warned that:
PRIVACY: CHOOSE A NAME THAT WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED BY OTHERS. POSTS MAY BE FOUND ON THE SEARCH ENGINES.
I hope this information has been helpful. Please remember, the WWW is sometimes the wild,wild west. Be careful out there!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I would remove where I live and any personal info from your profile.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Having worked on websites for over a decade, the ability for search engines to rummage through our personal lives is optional..... I was mortified to find that my posts are public.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

You must have missed this when you signed up Johnny (its in a previous post in this thread too).

In order to be able to post messages on the SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
PRIVACY: CHOOSE A NAME THAT WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED BY OTHERS. POSTS MAY BE FOUND ON THE SEARCH ENGINES.
Reading closely can save mortification.

I dunno where I'd be if I hadn't stumbled upon this place via Google back in 07 - and that's precisely why we're a public forum.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-09-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stoic

Originally Posted by Johnny152 View Post
Having worked on websites for over a decade, the ability for search engines to rummage through our personal lives is optional..... I was mortified to find that my posts are public.
I'm glad it's possible.

How many people found the support here by accidentally stumbling across a post via a google search? I bet most of us.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

This is exactly why I wear a disguise when I post.

Today I am dressed up like Clark Kent. Bet I fooled you, huh?

But just to be really safe, I think I am going to start using our SR decoder ring to post.

Setting B

ifmmp. [that would be Hello, for you folks who have lost your decoder ring]

That is one less thing to worry about today.

Now I can relax and know all is well here while I return to my world of Mrs. Hammer's Momma Drama of the Day.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Somebody a (female troll) once tracked me from forum to forum simply by googling certain expressions that I use a lot. My communication style relies heavily on idioms and common expression so I'm often identifiable simply by opening my mouth on a keyboard. In other words I'm pretty unoriginal lol

But, yeah, I tend to agree that if one wants total anonymity, don't use internet forums or social networking.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Funny stuff, really. I feel validated. Thanks. NOT