All the books are about making money off people

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All the books are about making money off people

Interesting conversation with my RAH tonight on the phone. I was mentioning some of the things I've been reading in my books about addiction. My RAH makes the comment I really need to pay attenion where the information is coming from because alot of those books are written by groups that provide treatment and they are all about making more money off people than really successfully helping them quit drinking.
I'll continue my reading and recovery, but won't be sharing the information with him anymore. I've noticed his thinking still isn't "clear" yet, I just need to keep going to my meetings and educating myself. I have read it takes around 2 years for the average addict once they quit to get completely back 100%. He is only 1 1/2 months sober so we have a long way to go.
He did make a comment the other day that really struck me....he said "I still really don't know how to interact yet". I need to take it day by day...easier said than done!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Keep right on educating yourself and letting him work on his recovery!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To me, his comment smacks of the "world is against me, AA is for suckers" line of reasoning. Inconceivable to him that people who work in addiction recovery actually want to help?

Sounds "quacky" to me.

Carry on!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He says the AA meetings a very helpful and has been attending, but doesn't have much respect for treatment centers. I just have to keep watching his actions at this point. He feels like I'm just waiting for him to fail, so I need to change my attitude a bit and let him handle his recovery.
Patience....not very patient. Need to work on that!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Any business that sells something is about making money or a profit (unless it's specifically a not-for-profit business). They wouldn't be able to stay afloat if they weren't making money. That doesn't mean that they can't be helpful while they make their money.

If books help you, don't stop reading them. Books have helped me tremendously.