Advice on Treatment Program

Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on Treatment Program

I think I may have posted this in the wrong area, so I apologize for repeat posting:

So we're beginning the long journey of getting a family member to stop drinking. We're looking for a treatment place and I have no idea of where to begin.

He has pretty good insurance and usually goes to Florida in the Winter (he lives in Illinois). So I was thinking of something in Fla -- near a beach or something -- but how do you know what's good? Is there a Yelp or something for Treatment places where you can read reviews/ other people's stories? Is there some place where he can have his wife stay with him?

I was also looking at Mayo treatment at their clinic in Rochester -- I mean you can't go wrong with Mayo right?

So yes, just starting out trying to get all the info I can. Any help much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

The Refuge in Ocklawaha (and Ocala), Florida.

Hazelden in Minneapolis, MN.

Hot or Cold?

Both have excellent family programs, and people come from all over to go there.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I promise I don't mean this in a flippant way at all, but it might not matter all that much.

Recovery rates are pretty similar across the board from different inpatient treatment centers. The deciding factor isn't choosing the correct treatment center, it's the addict choosing, wanting, being motivated to get sober.

My AXH went to a treatment center that had a fairly high "success rate" (# of graduates who followed through with the after care program and were still sober three years later). I believe it was around 60%. I don't know what happened to the people he graduated with, but he started drinking just around 4 months after graduating because he wasn't really ever motivated to stop; he just wanted people to think he was, because his job was on the line and his marriage was down the toilet. And the relatives that loaned him the money to go to treatment were just out that much money.

I hate to sound discouraging, but the truth is, no treatment will work if the person isn't ready for it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I stayed out of it and my husband picked his own rehab center with the help of his counsellor.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would have to give the inpatient rehab I went through a five star rating.

It was one wing of the small local hospital, and in our rooms were a hospital bed, and a small metal closet to hang our clothes in. That was it.

There was no tv, no radio, absolutely no phone calls (for the first two weeks), and no visitation (for the first two weeks).

There was no place by the ocean, there was no touting a percentage of successful patients, there was no advertising on tv.

It was a pretty sterile environment, and smack dab in the middle of southcentral Kansas.

I will forever be grateful for that experience. The staff was beyond comparison when it came to teach us how to work our recovery as if our lives depended on it. Mine certainly did.

Honestly, I have no idea how people get clean/sober and maintain it on a long-standing basis in these posh resort-type rehabs.

Give me the bare bones basics.

I celebrated 22 years clean/sober in August of this year.