Self Self Self

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Talking Self Self Self

It's interesting that the A is told to get rid of Self-Centeredness, Self-Hatred and Self-Will, but we're told to focus on "You, You and You!"

Like Mars and Venus.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BRILLIANT observation!

And . . . ?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed that that is a brilliant observation.

I've been puzzling over that one since everyone is telling me to focus on me. It feels like such an alien concept. I don't even know how to wrap my head around that one, which says a lot about me.

I suppose the rationale for the difference in recommendations is that it's not healthy either to be totally self-centered or totally other-centered. Either extreme is not good. So each party is encouraged to move away from the extreme end of the spectrum that they usually gravitate towards.

For us, it is being so other-focused that we lose ourselves. For the As, it can be being so self-centered that they stay mired in their own sick world. Moving toward a healthy balance is the same goal for both. We are just coming from different directions.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Exactly. It's about being at opposite ends of the pendulum swing. It 's about needing to come to a place of balance, rest and serenity by way of a collision course. Free falling, then crashing together somewhere nearer balance but ricocheting back, less and less, to the side where we originated. Both flawed. Both helped by moving slowly centerwards and taking it easy.

We may be opposites, but we're not that different.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I'm both an RA and a recovering codie, so you can imagine how confused *I* was when I began recovery for both!

((Titanic)) - I agree...it's all about balance.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thoughts here . . .

I love these > Moving toward a healthy balance is the same goal for both. We are just coming from different directions.

And > Both flawed. Both helped by moving slowly centerwards and taking it easy. We may be opposites, but we're not that different.

So beautifully said, both symbolize true growth IMO.