What the kids learn in the Home-School of Addiction

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"unconditional love"... does not compute. I'm not sure if I could ever really love UN-conditionally.

I remember once in a psychology elective class in high school "unconditional love" was a class topic one day. I was the only one in the class who cogently argued that parents can and do love conditionally, and that they absolutely could stop loving a kid if that kid screwed up too much. I even provided some real life examples. I think I was 15. It hadn't occurred to me yet at that point that it's the parents who love with conditions who are screwed up! The teacher REALLY should have written a letter home or called my parents, but didn't.

I have no children and I'm afraid that if I did, I wouldn't be able to love them unconditionally. I don't know how.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
"unconditional love"... does not compute. I'm not sure if I could ever really love UN-conditionally.

I remember once in a psychology elective class in high school "unconditional love" was a class topic one day. I was the only one in the class who cogently argued that parents can and do love conditionally, and that they absolutely could stop loving a kid if that kid screwed up too much. I even provided some real life examples. I think I was 15. It hadn't occurred to me yet at that point that it's the parents who love with conditions who are screwed up! The teacher REALLY should have written a letter home or called my parents, but didn't.

I have no children and I'm afraid that if I did, I wouldn't be able to love them unconditionally. I don't know how.
Pets are the only living things I know of that have loved me unconditionally. My Mother came pretty darn close though. God Bless her.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Manipulating those who are closest to you usually works until they start working that annoying Al-Anon program.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Lot Of Love Out There, Man.

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
Sorry for the torture you endured Chris1000101 and for the pain all of you suffered as children.
It is once in a blue moon that I’ll slip and share something I normally wouldn’t. So many can’t relate that it is usually ignored and no one thinks anything of it. It surprised me that you labeled it for what it was. In all my years, you are the second person to do so.

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
The dark years of our childhood - those years of which there are no photographs of us kids . . .
No photos of sis or I from way back when. I can remember a school project, third grade in the early 70s, we all had to bring in a photo (prior to age two/three). Teach asked me why I did not have a photo. I said we had none. Just like everyone else in my life had done, she accused me of lying to her and said everyone has photos. I don’t remember everything the old bitty said but I do know I didn’t care for school as it was and all she did was add to my list of reasons to hate it.

For some, things have changed over the years. Sadly, for many - kids lie - kids are too young to understand the truth - parents would never do such things . . .
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

You brought tears to my eyes Chris1000101. I truly value your sentiments and totally empathize with you on this.

Thank you.