New At This And Not Sure What To Do

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I'm glad she is in the hospital.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your children is to let her get the help she needs there and you focus on your situation at home. Keeping afloat will be possible if you focus on you, your children, your job. She is in the hospital now and when she gets out she needs to finish what she started (because hospitalizations are crisis intervention, not recovery) and do so in a way that will not send your home spinning.

It is hard for kids to have a parent out of the home but it is actually harder on kids to have their worlds spun around with a parent in/out/in/out/in/out trying to get their act together. I would have her stay out until she is very very stable in the real world, not the hospital, in my opinion - which is totally non-professional and worth what you paid for it
That is the plan exactly. I have the support from family to care for the children while I'm at work, that gives me the power to do what needs to be done. Caring for 4 kids on my own isn't going to be a walk in the park for the time being, but I was a single dad for a long time with my first two, and now they're old enough that they always just want to help with their little brother and sister. They adore them. I can handle all of this, it's just going to be a lot of work.
You've had quite a month. Take some time to find some equilibrium for you and the kiddo's. IME that does not happen overnight.
Oh, absolutely. This weekend is going to be spent with family to give me a little bit of a break. Her family is doing the bulk of things during the week, my family will help out as they can this weekend. Again, I'm very lucky I have the support of both my family and hers, if not I have no idea how I'd be able to do this.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Ash. Wow - you certainly have a full plate. I don't have much to add that others have not already said, but I do highly recommend a book titled Under the Influence. It helps to understand that alcoholism is a medical problem first and foremost. Sure, emotional problems are often at the core - but the compulsion to drink becomes a brain issue. Anyway - just read the book, its available via e-book on Amazon.com.

And I want to say that although you have your hands full right now, you've held things together quite well. Four kids under the age of 6...two of them young babies. I am impressed. I hope you can take a moment every day and feel proud of yourself for managing it all.

I do believe your fiance is acting as if she knows she needs to get a grip on this, and is flailing as to how. Hang in there, as we like to say here, more to be revealed.

Take good care,
~T
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Welcome to SR, Ash. Wow - you certainly have a full plate. I don't have much to add that others have not already said, but I do highly recommend a book titled Under the Influence. It helps to understand that alcoholism is a medical problem first and foremost. Sure, emotional problems are often at the core - but the compulsion to drink becomes a brain issue. Anyway - just read the book, its available via e-book on Amazon.com.

And I want to say that although you have your hands full right now, you've held things together quite well. Four kids under the age of 6...two of them young babies. I am impressed. I hope you can take a moment every day and feel proud of yourself for managing it all.

I do believe your fiance is acting as if she knows she needs to get a grip on this, and is flailing as to how. Hang in there, as we like to say here, more to be revealed.

Take good care,
~T
I'll get that book, I can read it on my phone at red lights during my commute to and from work. Maybe while I'm feeding a baby too, if I can. Thank God the babies are sleeping through the night now, so from 9:30 PM to about 5:30 AM I can actually get some things done and find the time to sleep.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Love that Gratitude of yours!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

IMHO-Run. Fast and far. Taking care of 4 small children, even on welfare is a walk in the park compared to riding out her addiction. Just my opinion, and I know it is harsh.

Maybe without any framework from which to drink herself silly every night (roof over her head, food, electricity, money) she will address her alcoholism. Then again, maybe not.

I agree with an earlier poster-in my experience, even daily wine drinking doesn't cause someone to seize from withdrawal. Without treatment and sobriety, alcoholism is progressive, meaning it goes downhill from here. She sounds pretty far down the hill already.

I speak from the other end of the story. 20 long years walking in the wrong direction with my A.

Good luck, protect those kids.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashconsebzoe View Post
Again, I'm very lucky I have the support of both my family and hers, if not I have no idea how I'd be able to do this.
That's a good thing that her side is supportive as well. You read lots of stories on here where the 'other side' is in as much denial of the A as the A is in denial of being an A. That's a bonus for you.

Good work